difference between stock and aftermarket heads??

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
i was looking at the aftermarket heads on m/t tonight (the patriot heads), and am amazed by how expensive they are. im wondering if it would be possible to take stock pi heads and have them machined to be like the aftermarket ones? i have no idea what acctually makes the aftermarket ones better (more flow of course), but how do they accomplish that? could a good shop turn stock heads into good aftermarket ones that would make some nice numbers? if so, how much would that cost?

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, 1200 bucks or whatever they cost isn't all that expensive when you consider that some of these companies don't require a core charge, meaning you can resell your factory heads to somebody looking to do the PI swap for good $.

i was kinda wondering this cause.. u think it would be a good idea to buy a set of pi heads, when i find a good deal on them, get them ported by a shop but not polished, and put them on and sell my current heads. i mean, how much does it cost to get 2 heads ported out??... i have no idea what it involves, but im just kinda wondering. also, other than bling, why would you get heads polished, any hp or torque gains?

steveb24 said:
i was kinda wondering this cause.. u think it would be a good idea to buy a set of pi heads, when i find a good deal on them, get them ported by a shop but not polished, and put them on and sell my current heads. i mean, how much does it cost to get 2 heads ported out??... i have no idea what it involves, but im just kinda wondering. also, other than bling, why would you get heads polished, any hp or torque gains?

Bling? Any polishing done isn't able to be seen unless the head is off the car. The polishing is inside the intake/exhaust ports and combustion chamber.

P/P will produce HP and TQ gains. If you're going that far, you should get cams/valves/springs done too.

Here's a few places that do it:
MPH
Steen
Renegade
VT
Fox Lake
Patriot (not usually recommended)
and probably a few others I've missed. They will all either sell you a new Ford head that they P/P or you can send your head to them and have them P/P it. If you get the head used, it'll save you some $$.

already got cams.. but ok. how much would it cost for a typical shop, or if i sent them somewhere, to get them ported and polished. and one more thing.. can we pull our heads with the motor still in or do we gotta pull it?

steveb24 said:
already got cams.. but ok. how much would it cost for a typical shop, or if i sent them somewhere, to get them ported and polished. and one more thing.. can we pull our heads with the motor still in or do we gotta pull it?

You have to look at the above websites...they all charge differently.

You can pull the heads with the motor in the car.

From what I heard is that the CNC porting process that Patriot uses is crap. I have a local shop here where I live that will port PI heads for 400, 500 or 600 bucks, depending what stage you want. Pretty much, they will give me a better port job for 500 bucks that I can get from patriot for 1300 bucks. I just got a set of heads for $250 and $500 for a port job is only $750. Way better deal. As far as removing the heads, I personally would pull the motor, it is just a lot easier that way. You can do it with the motor in the car, but you'll have a sore back.

phalcrow said:
From what I heard is that the CNC porting process that Patriot uses is crap. I have a local shop here where I live that will port PI heads for 400, 500 or 600 bucks, depending what stage you want. Pretty much, they will give me a better port job for 500 bucks that I can get from patriot for 1300 bucks. I just got a set of heads for $250 and $500 for a port job is only $750. Way better deal. As far as removing the heads, I personally would pull the motor, it is just a lot easier that way. You can do it with the motor in the car, but you'll have a sore back.

exactly what im thinking of doing.. im gettin some 3.73's next weekend put on, and than maybe ill start looking for a good used set of pi heads.

anybody else have some input or ideas.. im just tryin to figure out relatively "cheap" or 3k cheaper than a blower, way to get some good power. staying n/a would be nice too, just cause of the motor, and how i want it to last a long 150,000 mile + time. and 4 grand is too hard to save up for, than blow all at once.

really depends on the shop. You can check around online just remember to inculde shipping there and back cost.

As for local shops check in your area and see if there is any shop people reccomend. There are ltos of machine shops not all of them good. Plus with the "aftermarket" heads they are CNC ported which means everyone gets the same thing you'll know where you should be and you'll know each is the same. Where as with a hand port job you don't. Could be better could be worse.
Also before dropping the $$$ check the shop out talk with the guys some and get a feel for them and the place.
Example the Machine shop I trust locally advises against porting my heads by them. They said they doubt they could improve it and doubt that I'd see a $$ to rwhp increase to justify it.

so whats so bad about the patriot heads??.. i was just reading an article on mm&ff and they seemed to like them. plus, they alot cheaper than some other "aftermarket" heads ive seen. im not sure what my plan is, but im gonna get in contact soon with my local mustang shop and see if he knows anybody decent or what he recommends. another thing with buying new heads from somebody is youll get stainless steel valves and upgraded springs.. which has gotta be worth some extra loot. anybody have any actual expirence with patriot heads on here?

steveb24 said:
so whats so bad about the patriot heads??.. i was just reading an article on mm&ff and they seemed to like them. plus, they alot cheaper than some other "aftermarket" heads ive seen. im not sure what my plan is, but im gonna get in contact soon with my local mustang shop and see if he knows anybody decent or what he recommends. another thing with buying new heads from somebody is youll get stainless steel valves and upgraded springs.. which has gotta be worth some extra loot. anybody have any actual expirence with patriot heads on here?

Just because they got a good review from the mag don't mean squat. Remember that they PAY the mag to advertise, hence they are more likely to get a better review.

There are numerous threads on the net concerning Patriots problems.

And be careful about who ports your head. Anyone can "do" it, but not everyone can do it CORRECTLY. The ones I listed do it correctly, that's why you pay more for their services.

Caveat emptor as always.

san~man said:
Just because they got a good review from the mag don't mean squat. Remember that they PAY the mag to advertise, hence they are more likely to get a better review.

There are numerous threads on the net concerning Patriots problems.

And be careful about who ports your head. Anyone can "do" it, but not everyone can do it CORRECTLY. The ones I listed do it correctly, that's why you pay more for their services.

Caveat emptor as always.

yea i hear you.. get what you pay for too. anybody have any exp on here with patriot tho? i thought i saw somebodys sig with them..01steeda or something, a while back?