diffrence between

02GTRX

I told an admin to shut up...now I live with the S
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Sep 27, 2004
What are the diffrences between an xpipe and hpipe when it comes to sound and power? and which makes for a better sound with stock mufflers?

• Sponsors (?)

H for burble - the cross-pipe helps pull gases from the opposite bank and even up the pressure.
X is more like a rapid fire crossroads where each bank fires across the path of the other and sucks gases through faster so it's a slightly higher note through increased throughput of gases. More of a wail at the top end too.

In answer to the following post, I have an X pipe (Corsa) and custom smaller mufflers and it sounds graet and certainly not ricey and terrible.

You really should listen to as many clips and or cars as you can. Exhaust sound is very much a personal choice. I believe X pipes on these 3 valve motors sounds ricey and terrible. The exhuast note on these cars is not very muscle car sounding IMHO so anything that you can do to get a lower less raspy sound really helps. The H pipe gives a much deeper sound and not near as raspy. We ended up with the Steeda axle back and Pypes off road H pipe on my wifes car and it sounds good. The hp difference, if any, is less than 1 or 2. Good luck

Ok so if the car already has an h-design what makes aftermarket hpipes better? how hard is it to install and will it void my warranty? what brands should i consider? i want my car to sound the way it does now (stock) but louder and deeper

Ok so if the car already has an h-design what makes aftermarket hpipes better? how hard is it to install and will it void my warranty? what brands should i consider? i want my car to sound the way it does now (stock) but louder and deeper

Most of the aftermarket pipes people consider are off road pipes, which means it removes the cats, which is where the increase in volume comes from. You can definitely get the pipe with a free flow cat that is still louder than stock if you need to worry about emmisions.

They are not difficult to install if you can put it on ramps, and as far as brands, Pypes has a pretty popular off road H pipe that can be had for around $150ish (which is what I have). I wouldn't worry about your warranty either, I've never heard of an off road pipe causing any warranty issues. Keep in mind that you will either need a tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors or some MIL elliminators to get rid of the check engine light, since you are removing the cats.