dipstick tube wont go in

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I got fms headers for the p heads, while i was wrestling around to get them, in the dipstick got pulled out, with the tube. I threw it a side and continued working. Now that the engine is just about ready to be fired up I cant find any way to get the dipstick in the hole, ive tried every angle, it wont go around the headers, and i cant get it in going through the headers, what the hell do i do, i wish i could just cap this damn thing off and not worry about it, its just not going in

• Sponsors (?)

$uperstang said:
Have you tried bending it to the appropriate angle you need?

yes the damn dipstick looks like a circle weve bent it so much, it still wont go in. I think im just gonna cap it off or something.

you can't cap it off, how will you check your oil? Make room for the tube to go through the headers. Heat them up and get a steel bar the size of the oil tube and use it to shape the headers in the right spot. You have to think of something.

You can cap it off, you just wont be able to check your oil :) (a lot of racers actually do this to stop their dipstick from popping out all the time, which isn't the best way to counter the problem)

I believe the dipstick tube goes between the 3rd and 4th primaries on the drivers side. I once tried putting it through the 2nd and 3rd and couldnt figure it out. Make sure you run the tube between the correct primaries!!!

Also: You could unbolt one motor mount and jack the engine up a bit, you may need a few people. Best way is to slightly keep bending the tube till you get it in there, its a PITA I know. Been there done that!

I had no problems reinstalling the tube when I put my P headers on.

You didn't happen to break off the tube in the block when you were wrestling the headers around did you? There should be a ring on the tube near the bottom and about 2" of tube below that that kind of tapers down so that it will do into the block.

You might have broken the tapered part off in the block when you were putting the headers on. We did that with my brothers GT one time. I used an easyout to get the broken piece out and there was enough tube left below the ring that I was able to get the tube back into the hole in the block and everything was good.

I have the Ford chrome dipstick. Goes down by the #7 sparkplug and it bolts to the rightside of the #6 header bolt.

My tube would not go all the way in either, But when I bolt it down to the header bolt, its a tight fit and I have never had any oil leak out.

This is a viable solution.

Lokar
ED-5004 FLEXIBLE ENGINE DIPSTICK 302 FORD
5004_302ford.jpg

JEGS.com
625-ED-5004 SB-Ford 1986-1995
$41.99

lol you guys are gonna laugh at me, I didnt see the hole it came out of, so of course i was trying to get it into something that LOOKED like a hole but it was impossible to get it. By the time I figured it out, my tube looked like a doughnut, i just went to autozone and bought a new one for 10 bucks, thanks guys.

mob said:
lol you guys are gonna laugh at me, I didnt see the hole it came out of, so of course i was trying to get it into something that LOOKED like a hole but it was impossible to get it. By the time I figured it out, my tube looked like a doughnut, i just went to autozone and bought a new one for 10 bucks, thanks guys.

lol spent 2hrs doing that on my 2nd pos stang, don't feel bad.

mob said:
hahahaha :owned: himself!