Distributor Pick-Up Coil...How do I get this thing out?

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
I thought it would be easy but I can't figure out how to get the damn thing off the distributor to put the new one on. I got the screws out but there is some sort of metal plate that's on top of the pickup coil and I that needs to slide off so I can then slide the pick-up coil off that shaft but it doesn't pull off. The instructions didn't say anything and my haynes manual is useless. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

First, what type of distributor is it? Is it a TFI model? Regardless, there should be a couple of screws holding down the pickup and that should do it. However, if it's a vacuum advance car (carbed), you'll need to remove the vacuum advance arm, also. Once you get that (them) out, a couple of screwdrivers (one on each side of your reluctor) should allow you to pry the reluctor off the shaft. Just don't lose the roll pin or moon key that holds the reluctor in place on the shaft. Once that comes up, if you need to get down to your springs and weights, you can access the hex head screws (or torx) that hold the cover plate in position through access holes in the side of the distributor head. Once those are removed, the reluctor is out and the sensor (pickup) is out, you can access your springs and tabs if you need to recurve. Hope this helps.

If you have it out of the car you need to press out the pins holding the retainer ring and the gear out then press off the gear and retainer. I did mine in a vige but you need to be carefull not to mushroom the bottom of the shaft. The bottom of the shaft runs your oilpump. I ended up replacing the whole dist. for about 90 dollars. It came with the pickup already installed.

Yup...on Hall Effect distributors, you have to pull the shaft up through the dist to remove the pick-up. Like davmacdon said, gotta remove the gear and retainer first. The trigger wheel screws down to the plate you referred to and that "plate" is part of the shaft...is does not come off. The distributor that bt15 referred to is the older (pre-86) mechanical advance, magnetic trigger dist. If you have a 86-95, you have the hall effect dist.

BTW, I gave up trying to get the gear and retainer off mine and went and bought a replacement, I think mine was $130, but it came with a module. And also I've read that a high-output replacement ignition on a stock 5.0 has little or no performance improvement.

Durasparks are fairly easy:

Pull the rotor, disconnect the e clip and two screws that hold the vacuum advance, remove the vacuum advance

Pry up the reluctor wheel and remove it and the roll pin, two screwdrivers usually works.

Remove the oil filter at the top inside of the shaft, under where the rotor was and reach in with needle nose and pull the spring wire retainer, then pull the upper shaft assembly out.

Then take two screws out and the advance plate and pickup coil and wire will come out. Keep up with the bushing under it.

Then you can get to the mechanical advance springs.

It is best done off the car, in a vice, over a light colored floor. Use a retrieval magnet to keep up with the eclip, and grease to hold and reinstall the roll pin.

It can be done at least 3 times in one hour, including reinstallation, timing and testing....... Major pain....

FLA5.0 said:
AAHHH..guess I should've looked at the year model you were working on before I wasted your time explaining the newer Hall Effect dist...sorry.

lol..Actually you didn't waste your time. I have a 91 mass air motor in the old 83'. I forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The new pick-up is in.......finally. :nice: