Engine Distributor Shaft

I don’t think the extra length is going to effect or not effect anything . When you order an aftermarket one for argument sake besides 351 vs 302 and gear material no one mentions the length of the shaft.

I have to agree I think it’s for ease of dropping in to engage the oil pump . If the hex is on the shaft it’s in . I’d run the 85 and not look back .

Well I’d keep it fuel injected but that’s not what we’re talking about. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Me - "A carb swap doesn't require a distributor change."

If he had an EFI distributor I am pretty sure he needed to swap it for a regular distributor ....

This is what I recall:

The EFI distributor gets swapped for a carb distributor
The shaft [length] and [diameter] are different for a carbed distributor and EFI distributor....
Dammit, I got that one wrong. :doh: You guys are absolutely correct.

..... Old on right. ..... <<MISSING PIC!!>>>
Fyi, referencing your pic in the quoted post (post #3) (the pic wouldn't copy over in the quote), on my never-installed, remanned, spare Ford distributor, which supposedly is specifically for an '85 carbed 5.0, the length of the shaft below the gear is 1.55". Being a reman though, I have no idea how that actually compares to the stock (still installed) distributor.

..... but the 85 GT distributors are hard to come by.
Would this work?

Another thing I came across is that the longer shaft in the roller motors was to ease the installation of them on the assembly line. The longer distributor shaft engages the oil pump drive before the distributor gear contacts the cam gear so it makes it easier to install. From that I took it that there is no other benefit.
Ahhh.... I was wondering why they'd be different,,,, that sounds like the dealy there.

Last edited: