DIY Porting Ques.

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
I dont know how many of you guys have tried this, but i'm going to attempt to port my explorer lower, match my upper, and port the hell outta my gt-40P heads. I'm going to use Standard Abrasive's Guide, and Deluxe porting kit, which include everything i need, except a die grinder, but i have one.

Has anyone ever hand ported a set of P heads, if so, how much would be safe to take off? I'm going to practice on an old intake, i know there is the pushrod holes, and coolant tubes and stuff in the heads, what are the possiblities of my hitting one of these? I'm going to be safe about it, not jump right into ****ing my heads up.

Let me know if anyone has any tips.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd like to know, too. I'm going aluminum .... but I guess I'll end up using these heads for something.

Be very careful with the P heads. It's very easy to go overboard when porting them (compared to other heads) ..... according to what others on here have said previously.

You are always a lot closer the water jackets than you think...

Intake ports can be worked a little tiny bit. The goal is to give the port a better shape...not so much to make it bigger. If you make the port too big, you're ****ed. Big time.

The combustion chambers should not be touched.

The bowls (the area right behind the valve) is where lots of power can be found. This is commonly known as the "valve job". But, same as the intake port, if you grind out too much, you're going to kill the flow inside the head.

It's all about knowing what you're doing...

Joe

Go to your local book store and find this book. Although it was written before the modern 5.0L, it contains enough theory, calculations, and sectioned heads to point you in the right direction. It also has pictures of which tool bit to use at each point in the port.
My $.02, I wouldn't gasket match the (intake) ports. It would create an expansion chamber, two trumpets bolted together. I reckon a port match would yield better results.
It's better to do the valve job after the porting so that any accidental nicks can be addressed. Now you'll have to be very careful not to bump the valve seat.

Get the book. Save the endangered heads :cheers: