do 2v heads tick too?

black2010

Apr 11, 2009
Tried searching but could only find this issue with the 4v engines.

I've noticed a continuious ticking noise coming from my car for a while now. It seems to be getting louder though over the last couple thousand of miles. It's an 02 GT with a 5 speed. All stock except for a cold air intake and cat back. Car has 52K miles on it. The ticking sound corisponds to the rpm and doesn't go away when I depress the clutch (canceling out possible throw-out bearing).

Any ideas what this could be and possible ways to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

First thing I'd check is for a loose spark plug. 2v heads have a NASTY tendency to blow spark plugs out of the heads and strip the threads.

It usually starts out as a ticking, then next thing you know it rockets a plug.

Can't undertourqe them, can't overtourqe them.

Ehhh. the ticking in the 2V's are the lifters upon cold start ups. Has to do with the oil making its way to the valvetrain. If you have a constant tick at operating temp, its possible that you have a plug issue as mentioned above, the coil is off the plug (which would make your car fall flat on its face). Or you could have lifter issues? Does your car do this within the first 10 minutes of driving, or all the time
?

Ehhh. the ticking in the 2V's are the lifters upon cold start ups. Has to do with the oil making its way to the valvetrain. If you have a constant tick at operating temp, its possible that you have a plug issue as mentioned above, the coil is off the plug (which would make your car fall flat on its face). Or you could have lifter issues? Does your car do this within the first 10 minutes of driving, or all the time
?

It does it all the time and has gradually gotten worse. When I bought the car I could barely hear it. I had the dealership check it out and they said it was A OK and was normal for the car since the valve covers are so thin. Over the last 3 years and 25K miles it has gradually gotten worse. It now is a bit embarassing when pulling into car shows or a drive through :(

I haven't touched the plugs on the car ever but have heard about issues with them stripping out. Should I just try to tighten them a bit to see if that helps? Was going to do that but the stripping stuff I've heard about has made me hesitant to do that.

Appreciate the guidance as I really want this ticking to end...

Forgot to add. Performance hasn't chaged one bit and is a steady pull. I RARELY hit past 5K rpms though so I don't do alot of redline shifts. Car's really only a weekend cruiser now that I got the 2010.

03-25-6
• Engine – Romeo built 4.6L 2V – Tick noise from engine – engines built before 9/17/2003

Had my heads replaced during warranty for this.
The above is the issued date of the TSB.I remember reading that it was a silent TSB for the first while.If the customer doesn't hear it,Ford will not fix it,or say anything,if the customer hears it,then Ford has to deal with.Much easier under warranty.
Do a search on TSB's.:nice:
But it also could be what has already been mentioned by others.Just need to narrow it down.