Do I have the wrong set of power steering hoses? 64 1/2 V9 w/ Eaton pump

gregp1962

Nov 14, 2006
I have the center link/power steering valve and ram off of the car yesterday to replace the hoses. When I put the short hoses on that go from the valve to the ram, the short hose seem to be about one inch too long. This might not seem like much. But, it makes ti so that the ram won't stay at the correct angle with respect to the center link. Could it be the wrong hoses?

Also, the return hose, (valve to pump) is curved at an odd angle. This should be easy to just cut the shorter near the valve and rerout as needed since it is not a high pressure line. Does that sound right?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats because they only make one size now. Even though you may have ordered both sizes, and even paid for the shorter (more expensive) size they are all the same size. The easiest thing to do is remove the ram from teh center link and frame bracket. Makes it way easier to attach the hoses. Just make sure you don;t switch ports when you drop the power cylinder.

Return lines are usually long and need to be cut to length.
Also, 65-66 hoses are different from 67 on. If you got the replacement style, they're not exact. You can order better hoses from NPD (they offer both styles) but they cost a little more.

I had the whole center link and ram off of the car. The problem is that with the short hoses on, they are too long to allow the ram to remain at a normal angle with respect to the center link.

On the 1964/1966 V8 Mustang, the best replacement hoses (other than the expensive original Ford pieces) are a pair sold by Scott Drake that are specifically made as correct replacements. They have the correct bends and lengths and fit like originals.