Engine Does anyone elses engine cough?

Dontknowchit

Jul 31, 2017
I got the surging all fixed up, timing, idle adjustment tps and a vacuum leak. At start up/warm up it idles up higher than I think it needs(2k rpm) but settles down and runs good. Every once in a while, for lack of a better word, it coughs. It kind of cuts out, there is a huge sucking nose from the intake, then it just keeps going. It's very quick. It has done it under idle, under power, after warmup and after startup. Not often, mabe once a trip and not every start/run cycle. I thought the high idle warmup and the cough and the desire for it to idle high (1krpm) at proper timing anyway may be symptoms of a chip/tune. I took a look and I have a sealed A9P ECC. I read a lot of posts and I think my take away was that it does not matter much, but
....would a A9L have a lower idle warmup (add less timing)?
Would a mild cam cause a high idle? It's a big unknown as the motor is a 95 block that was rebuilt and transplanted but I got it from the second owner since then so information is sparse. Trying to Sherlock my way thru it.

• Sponsors (?)

You could try the giggl'n wires method, sometimes it's just loose crap, engine running of course.
need to check:
codes
Fuel pressure - vac line on and off
vacuum reading
Like the general says, check for any loose wires.
After the resto on my Dodge, it would not crank occasionally and I had charging problems...
Turned out to be a loose nut on the starter relay... took a new alternator and starter relay to figure it out...

DSCF0902.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
I got the surging all fixed up, timing, idle adjustment tps and a vacuum leak. At start up/warm up it idles up higher than I think it needs(2k rpm) but settles down and runs good. Every once in a while, for lack of a better word, it coughs. It kind of cuts out, there is a huge sucking nose from the intake, then it just keeps going. It's very quick. It has done it under idle, under power, after warmup and after startup. Not often, mabe once a trip and not every start/run cycle. I thought the high idle warmup and the cough and the desire for it to idle high (1krpm) at proper timing anyway may be symptoms of a chip/tune. I took a look and I have a sealed A9P ECC. I read a lot of posts and I think my take away was that it does not matter much, but
....would a A9L have a lower idle warmup (add less timing)?
Would a mild cam cause a high idle? It's a big unknown as the motor is a 95 block that was rebuilt and transplanted but I got it from the second owner since then so information is sparse. Trying to Sherlock my way thru it.
Try a base idle reset.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 14