Drag Radials

05blues

Oct 23, 2008
Clovis, NM
Ok, I need some help. I'm stuck between getting Nitto555's (275/40/17), or paying about $100 more and getting the Mickey Thompson street drag radials... need some feedback fast, gotta order these today!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the Nittos only had a 100treadwear anyways... so you can't drive them on the street realisticly.. and I was getting seperate rims for these tires, anways. So, I went ahead and went with the M/T's. I don't have a LOT of power, but I have 4:10 gears and a few other mods, so I want to be able to get off that line quick without spinning. Anyone else running radials?

Yeah definitely the Mickey's, especially if they're just for the track. Good choice.

I run the M/T's right now. I used to have the M&H's on my '05 with 4.10's, but they were too tall for my '07 with 3.31's.

Not familiar with the MT but i do have the Nitto 555's and have nothing too bad to say about them. Properly inflated they are rather quiet on the road i usually inflate them alittle higher to get alittle better Gas mileage (still doesnt work - working on getting a tuner haha) but yeah i guess the only thing i would ask for is a bigger lip around the rim. Get alittle to close to a curb or anything be scratching. Was my screw up but still. They not too bad in the rain either actually get better traction than the stock tires lol.

But anyways just my .02 :)

P.S. Darkfire i cant help but ask im diggin your sig. And although i dont have anything too special on my ride was curious about how you made that thing. to keep this thread on topic anychance you could send me a private tell maybe telling me. HTML or whatever. Thanks :D )

Yeah, just stay out of the rain. Crashed my car last month from hydroplaning. If you get caught in the rain its LOW SPEED!
I second this. I see sooo many people thinking they're above it, that they are a good driver. It doesn't matter how good you can drive, you are exceeding the limits of the tires if you try to drive them in the rain.

Another thing, make sure traction control is off if you do get stuck in the rain. Traction control makes it worse if you start to lose control, because the computer tries to compensate and the car does not respond the way it naturally would. I've personally done 180's twice in the rain because of traction control, and I know darn well I could've gotten it under control well before it turned all the way around. Not TC in the rain for me anymore. And that's with regular street radials that have a great wet rating.

well, obviously I went with the M/T's, and a new set of rims just for them. I headed to the track the day after I got them in. Got rained out. 120mile one-way trip. That sucked. But, I did take the car to Dallas this last weekend (I'm from New Mexico) for a little vaca, and on the way back, stopped at Yello Belly Dragstrip. (which I might add is the worst track I've ever been to) The track was almost completely unmanned, no one around most of the time. And, on top of this, it ended up being an 1/8th mile track... so that blew. Well, anyways, ended up getting some 1.95 60ft's, not too bad, (I was outrunning a couple of cobra's that were there) but I think I had waaaaay to much pressure in the M/T's. I started with 36lbs, was running 9.0 1/8th miles... dropped to 32lbs and instantly got a 8.60 1/8th. I think this is still too much pressure in these tires... any input?

I run 275/40/17 BFG drag radials, and they hook great - even with the supercharger making over 10 psi of boost. I just air them down to about 18 psi, do a 2nd gear burnout in the box, and they dead hook like they should. Decent on the highway, as well, for summertime driving.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to another track hopefully this saturday. I will play with the air alot there. (it's 1/4, too!) High elevation, but I'm hoping for reaaaallly low 13's. (4,000ft) My last best there was a 14 flat, without 4:10's and steeda pulleys I just installed, and without the M/T's.

Good choice of drag radial. Very stable at the top end and predictable on the start. consistant as well.

View attachment 252136

and wrinkle....
DSC01253.jpg

Ouch sorry to hear. Have full coverage?

yeah, $13000 in damage and I get it back next week. Goes into paint tomorrow.

Good thing is that I got a CDC Ducktail Spoiler with no holes in the trunk and full steeda rear suspension with adjustable UCA and LCA's and sway bar with end links, and 4.10's out of the deal.

Aftermarket performance parts are WAAAAY cheaper then OE. After all is said and done I owe barely any of my deductable.

I run the Nitto 555r's in 305/35/R18's at 28 pounds and I get no bog. At 20lbs its hard to burn out in the box even and it bogged hard. It took me about 6 runs to get the pressure right because I started at 24 and went down. It basically has resulted in sub 1/10th RT's. Can't stress the difference enough. Im sure you'll enjoy the new slicks!