Driveline Vibration

jeffsqartan

Aug 23, 2017
Howdy. This is my first post on a Mustang site.
I've had my 92 for a little over a year and 25k+ miles. It's a great little convertible.

So, I'll try to be short on my issue, but I've spent a lot of time/miles trying to figure out what the issue is and there's a lot of info running through my mind.

Description of the problem: Vibration in the shifter handle. It is both RPM related and speed related. I know those are going to be 2 separate problems. I'm mostly concerned about the RPM related issue right now, but info on the speed related one (pretty sure it's a diff issue) will still be helpful in the future.

Specific information: Vibration occurs anywhere between 2500-4000 rpm. I can disengage the clutch and free rev the engine and the shifter handle will still vibrate. That seems to be worst right at 3500, though not as harsh as when driving. Shifter handle can shake enough that your hand will go numb trying to hold onto it.
Also occurs around 75-85mph. Now, the speed vibration will also occur with the clutch disengaged, so I know that's got to be driveline related.
Once you pass 75-85 or 4k rpm, it clears up entirely. I've had the car up to 140 several times and there's nothing. Smooth as butter.
Here's the real kicker, I can make it stop. I haven't figured out what triggers this, but I can make any gear be smooth (except 5th, it's always rough unless above 85 or below 60). Even more interesting, even the 75-85 vibration can go away if I shift into 4th right. So, 80 is about 4k on the tach, and I've literally cruised for an entire hour at 80 mph in 4th, never putting my foot on the clutch, and it was smooth the entire way. The second I put my foot on the clutch, vibration.

Like I said, I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. It just doesn't make sense to me. It vibrates in all gears, but sometimes I shift in a way that makes it not do it.

On to the list of things that I've replaced in the last year:
Harmonic balancer
Both engine mounts
Transmission mount
Transmission cross member bushings
Took the driveshaft to a reputable shop and had them replace joints/balance it
Had the transmission rebuilt in March
Aftermarket shifter
Replaced the clutch with a McLeod 75105 clutch
Replaced flywheel with a Luk Clutch 50 oz imbalance flywheel
Replaced the pilot bearing - mine literally had no needle bearings left. They were dust.
I think that about covers it. After doing the clutch swap about 700 miles ago, it got better. But it's still there with nearly the same symptoms.
The car was in an accident 2 months after I got it. Lady pulled out in front of me. It did jam the fan into the radiator shroud. The fan has rubbed some, but it isn't cracked or missing large sections. All of the fan blades are missing material, but it seems to be the same amount of material in the same spots. I do plan on removing the fan and clutch tomorrow night to see if that could possibly be a culprit.

If anyone has any ideas for me, that would be great. The car has just over 198k miles on it but I love it to death. It would be nice to iron out some of the nuisances.

• Sponsors (?)

Pulled the fan off Friday night. No change in vibration with the fan removed.
Doesn't appear to be any play in the water pump shaft, either.
It's a long story on the tires, but I know they aren't the culprit for the 70-85 vibration. I'm fairly positive this issue is with the diff. It shakes the shifter handle, not my body.
So, I'm still stumped with the RPM related vibration.

I skimmed your list and saw that you've already replaced u-joint. I contend that one or more of them is bad or that the drive-shaft was balanced incorrectly.

It can happen. Even at good shop. This is cheap to rule out.

About your thoughts on the rear-end:

I don't see any parts on your list that indicate that the axles, bearings, or gears have even been looked at.
You say your vibration is speed dependent. Other remarks lead me to believe that it's same speed regardless of gear?

Yes... The rear-end is definitely a suspect.

How is tire wear? How do the suspension bushings, shocks, and springs look?

Noobz-
I may take the driveshaft out and have it checked again. I had the same shop do a drive shaft and 2 axle shafts for my truck and no issues with either. It's not impossible. Heck, could have gotten messed up when I installed it and I didn't notice.

The vibration is present in 2 conditions.
1- if I Rev the engine to 3000-4000rpm, the shifter handle shakes bad. This can be a free Rev while the car is sitting still, or it can be in any of the gears at that rpm. 3500-4k seems to be the peak of the vibration. After 4k, it seems fine.
2- let's say I get up to 90mph and there's very little vibration in the shifter, so I put my foot on the clutch and take the car out of gear and coast. Between the speeds of 75-85mph, the shifter handle will shake bad.
What's interesting to me is that I have been able to put the car into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, and have this issue not appear.
For instance, the car vibrates in 4th around 50-85 MPH. From 50-75, that's the 3000-4000 rpm, hence the shaking. From 75-80, it's above 4k rpm, but where that other vibration occurs.
However, sometimes, if I shift the car just right, neither vibration will occur.
This is possible in 1st-4th. I've never been able to get 5th to stop vibrating unless it's above 110 or so.

Hope that clears some things up.

As for suspension: bushings aren't great but don't appear to be rotting. Springs and shocks are both new, all the way around. Maximum Motorsports springs front and rear, cheap shocks front and rear, and MM front caster plates. It's been aligned, but one of the tires looks like it has less camber than the other. I've had this stupid car aligned 4 times and either I'm too picky or they're all bad, cause I can't even get the steering wheel straight...
Btw- brand new rack and pinion as well as inner/outer tie rods.

Riddle me this:

In your opinion, is the vibration RPM dependent or speed dependent? Your comments suggest that it is rpm dependent and the speed is incidental.

Last edited:
Still haven't figured out what is wrong with it.
But, it's very possible I won't ever find out.
Thanks to all who replied and I'll eventually be back with more questions on my next Stang haha

Attachments

• IMG_20170831_074728.jpg
    IMG_20170831_074728.jpg
    905.3 KB · Views: 282
Everybody's ok. Other 2 cars were completely fine. Just scratched bumpers.
Got onto the interstate. Left 2 lanes were moving just fine.
I merged into the far left lane, was about 6 car lengths behind the car in front of me. He put on his brakes, then laid into them. I got on my brakes hard and started to dive left onto the shoulder, but he was doing the exact same thing.
I knew I was gonna hit, so I tried to cut to the right and avoid him. Couldn't be done. Probably hit him around 30/40 mph.
It's completely hosed. Basically, everything forward of the firewall, frame and all, would need to be replaced to get it fixed.
It really sucks. I love this car so much. Thankfully, it's nothing that can't be replaced and I'll eventually find a hardtop that I love next spring.
Trying to get my truck put back together in the next couple days so that I have something to drive.