Driver side door won't shut/latch

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
The driver side door on my 71 Mustang Mach1 does not want to shut/latch unless I lift up a little on the handle. A little harder to lift when inside. Doesn't take much lifting up and don't need to all the time. I have checked all the hinge bolts and they are tight.
How do I align/ lift the door slightly?

• Sponsors (?)

The door seems solid, no play in the hinges.
My nylon bushing around the latch pin is torn up. It was suggested I try replacing it. The problem is the shipping costs more than the latch striker pin.
Then it was suggested I just replace the nylon bushing. The problem I am now having is I can't get the washer off in order to remove the bushing. I would have thought it would just slip over the threaded area but no it does not. So I tried unscrewing it off. It starts but at the first thread it goes crooked and can't move it, or it just goes back off the thread and spins. I have soaked it in WD40 rust penetrator as well as spraying it with last lubricate.
I am at a loss as to how to get the washer off. Don't want to damage the threads.
Any suggestions?

If the hinge bushings are good the door hinge needs adjusting ,you should not have to lift up on the door . If the striker if the striker bushing is shot replace it ,i cant remember how the striker comes off a 71 73 ,but it seems like the whole pin un screws an comes out . Have any pics?

I think i see what you mean ,the threads are rolled into that pin causing it to expand ,so the threads are larger than the opening in the washer ,it will not come off ,i would just replace the whole striker ,but this will not make the door align with the pin ,you will still need to adjust the hinges ,unless the pin has been raised to high when it was tightened down . Look at the body line with the door shut ,if it aligns when the door is shut the hinges must be off and that is why you have to lift it to close