Drying off car tips? also misc. detail questions.

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
im looking to detail my car tomorrow, and im wondering what you guys use after a wash to dry it off? ive tried terry towels, and they leave behind little white fragments no matter what.

i have a little 150mph blower ive been using to help. it still leaves a moisture layer behind though. terry towels leave the fragments of crap. what kind of towels/rags do you use?

i know normal towels scratch the paint, ect. so im looking for the best alternate.

i also have meguires gold class for a wax. it said its longer lasting, is this a good daily driver type wax? im not looking to spend a ton of cash on mailorder waxes, just the best stuff i can go out and purchase, if not this.

its all applied by hand btw if that makes a difference.

thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I use an average leaf blower to dry my car. I also use the Mr Clean filter to rinse off the soap (I use Gold Class soap, not the MrClean). The blower gets everything good for me.

For waxing I use the 4 step meguires (sp) wax method. I clay bar the car after I was and then I apply the cleaner wax, then the polish and then the sealer wax. I like the way it turns out. I tried to get a good pic but its night time. If you want ill get you one tommorow.

i have the mrclean thing, but my filter is gone, so its just a water dispenser for me.

ill try a filter and the leaf blower method.

i dont get quite as involved with my wax as some people. im going to claybar it, then apply my wax. worked awesome on my last car, i just want it done decent on this car. it hides alot of stuff my old paint didnt also.

thanks for the reply, btw what color is your car?

I have 2 mustangs. An 06 and a 90

2006 = Vista Blue
1990 = Metallic Blue

Here is a pic of the 90 after a good clean and wax

StangClean1.jpg

looks good, about the same color as mine.

i was just wondering if you did that for a black/dark blue car say compared to a lighter colored car.

thanks, think ill pick up a filter for my mr clean gun tomorrow then.

If you want a towel that will dry your car fast head to walmart and pick up there big blue drying towel by Microtex. Also to help dry your car remove the nozzle from the hose. Allow the water to "flow" from the hose so that the water "sheets" off cathing the smaller water droplets down with it. A good wax is Megs #26 liquid wax (in a peige(sp?) bottel View attachment 497860 ). Napa carrys

those Microtex towels from Walmart are pretty decent but I still prefer the old school chamois. Make sure you get a real one not any of the fake synthetic cloth types. Wring it out often and do not get any dirt on it at all. Those things suck the water right up and won't leave a single mark as long as you only use them on a clean car (stay away from the wheels and tires also, clean or not, too much dirt and silicone). If you're like me and hate getting into your freshly washed and dried vehicle just to have water run out of every crevice and leave spots, try hitting these areas like around lenses, opening around the doors, moldings, etc. with a leaf blower or even compressed air if you have a compressor and the right attachment.

almost forgot, if you have anything besides white or silver and don't mind frequent applications or don't do much non-nice weather driving, try 3M hand glaze. It usually costs a little more than regular wax and takes a little more effort to put on and take off, but the results are amazing. I use it on all of the showroom cars at work and even my bright blue shows a huge difference, especially after a good clay bar and cleaner wax to get all of the crud off first.

oh yeah, and i like the color :nice:
885847stangyatplumcdc_copy.jpg