Easy way to fix and replace a broken dipstick?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Ok so i broke it off durring my LT install, so i'm leakin oil now. I'm guessing the only way to fix this is to jack up the engine, unbolt the oil pan and pull out the broken piece, then get a new dipstick? I'm really hoping there's an easier way to do this. Also, i just got an oil change not even a week ago, so it's only got about 50 miles on the new oil. Could i drain it into something and reuse it?

• Sponsors (?)

I had this happen to me, and I have an easy solution. Since you can't easily drop the pan, try this: Go to Home Depot with the remaining section of your dipstick. Find a bolt with a pointy tip that fits into the end of the DS SNUGLY (you can't pull it out, has to be screwed out). Go home, take said bolt, and bolt it into the hole where the dipstick piece is stuck in the block. Once it's in most of the way and secure, get a hammer and a long flat head screwdriver. Put the tip of the screwdriver against the head of the bolt, whack the handle with the hammer up towards the top of the motor, and the bolt should pull the broken piece out with it. I did it, and then installed a nice FRPP chrome dipstick since the stocker was a loss. It took a pretty hard smack in my case to pop the bolt and piece out, so don't be afraid to really whack it. Good luck.

Hey man thanks, i had a similar idea, only i thought of a counter tap or a drill bit or something. The only reason i thought about reusing the oil is i hate doing oil changes so i have it done, sure it's easy but i just hate it, so i paid 40 bucks to get this one done. Looks like i'll have to eat it up and do it myself. Then again, if i dont have to drop the pan, i'll just have to add some oil.

yeah, its always best to just put new oil in. My dipstick may be going the same route, its hanging loose from where it was attached to the headers. I'm thinking I could just do a little tap weld to mount it back in place. Let me know how easy it is to put in the new dipstick when you do it.

-Joe