ebay again

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it doesn't appear "all original" any more in any case...nor does it appear to be a '78 with those particular interior door panels either. I must admit, I'm a bit stumped on this cars true original identity or configuration right now. There certainly appears to be some inconsistancies about it.
Hmm...on one hand, it sure looks like this may be a repainted (but original) BLUE w/white stripped ('76) Cobra, with just a replacement grille unit, missing side louvers and possibly an OEM white interior.
Hard to tell from the darkend pics... but under the hood and inside the doors and along hatch seal also indicate this may possibly have been a white car too. The part that has me most confused in that possible scenerio, is the use of blue seatbelts, carpet, console, and dash components, with its otherwise deluxe white interior (including white carpet on door panel bottoms). I'm assuming the headliner is white. Can any of you owners of white interior cars verify the correctness of matching seatbelts, headliners, dash pads, headliners, carpets and hard trim on such cars? Seems I've seen several different configurations over the years, seemingly dependant on exterior color.

Then too...it may have been a sports group 3dr blue fastback with a swapped in deluxe Cobra interior and rear spoiler added? It's hard to tell if the car ever had a front spoiler either....but, it does have dual remote sport mirrors and aluminum dash bezels....but, no sport steering wheel common to the 77 and 78 cars! I guess this clue alone, still makes me think this car is a '76. My assumptions are also drawn from the belief, the gauges are chrome trimmed. Between the poor pics showing a slight reflective quality and my diminishing eyesight, I'm just guessing on that! Any other thoughts... anyone?

This car was listed as a 74 a few days ago.

I say it's a 75 or 76 blue fastback. Here's why:

Has the metal bumper trim, 75 and early 76 only. Has the chrome dash trim, 75/76. Has the metal console trim, 75/76. Has 75/76 grille and parking lamps. The horse kind of kills the Cobra thing. If you look at the trunk, it has the 75/76 style "peg" pop up spring. The door panels are a bit perplexing though. They do have the Cobra style aluminum inserts, but no sign of Cobra emblems that I can see.

Like I said, I say it's a blue 75/76 fastback, that's picked up a 78 dash top along the way for the 78 VIN.

Where to begin...

"All Glass Good-No Windshield " Say what?

I go with it being a Blue/white '76 as well. The right door shows remnants of the stripe, the door panels appear to be CBII panels with the lamps (can just make out what appears to be the "COBRA II" nameplate rectangle on it), A/C equipment on firewall is that used thru '76, '76 steering wheel, '76 chrome ebrake, '76 rear bumper trim, '76 style "strap" seats. It's possible the car suffered damage in front , note the missing bumper insert. That might explain the "pony" grille. If it truly has factory duals, that would be no later than '76 as well.

Any way you look at it, it's a POS.

As far as white interiors go:

On my '77, the dash/pad, carpet, seat belts, kick panels, and steering column are black. Everything else (including speaker grilles) is white: headliner, visors, door panels (white deluxe did not get carpeted bottoms), cargo panels, all interior moldings against headliner, a-pillar moldings, seat belt trim rings, dome lamp body. The underside of the lift gate was painted interior white as well.

I have recently thought of changing to black interior, but the excessively high cost of good black Cobra door panels isn't making it happen very fast.

Attached is a pic of a white '76 Cobra II interior I saved a few years back.

Cobraman,
While I had previously noticed (but not stated) the bright bumper strip and the chrome E brake handle, I had completely overlooked the remnants of the white stripe on the repainted door...nice catch! This probably is the strongest remaining eveidence, giving further proof to the car being an original blue '76 Cobra. I have little doubt the buck tag is long gone, that of course being the only true indicator.

Sal, you are probably exactly right about the swapped dash too...but, the built in Cobra option of the remote mirrors really had me most leaning toward it being a blue Cobra from the start, despite the presence of the horse in the grille. It's far more likely the grille or emblem was changed somewhere in time, than a full Cobra package including remote mirrors etc was installed.
Further inspection of the pics also shows that the bright finish wiper arms were either painted or changed out at some point too...as you know, the black finish was only used on Kings and possibly some of the later 78 models.

Brian...
Thanks for the info on the white interior. However, first off...I'm not sure which of your Cobras you were referencing....guessing the black one? I remember you posting pics at one time of that interior, would like to see it again if you still have it.
I guess that I'm still somewhat confused however too, (perhaps now more than ever), as (by the pic included in your post), it appears that some white interior cars came with (blue) seats, and others (like the POS car) came with white? This seems inconsistant with any logical conclusions I can derive from pics of the very few white interior II's I've seen about how these cars might have been optioned...and something I can not make sense of.

Do you know if the carpet color in white interiors was always coordinated to match (or determined by) the exterior color of the car...seeing there is no white carpet cars? This seems to be the only thing that seems constant about this matter...and again assuming that white "Cobras" with white interiors would have used either black carpet and trim like yours, or color matched carpet and trim to the color of the stripes used in the Cobra package ordered. It would further seem if this thinking is correct, that the carpet color WAS what determined the color used on the steering column, dash and kick panels in all other models as well.

LXXVICOBRA said:
Cobraman,

Brian...
Thanks for the info on the white interior. However, first off...I'm not sure which of your Cobras you were referencing....guessing the black one? I remember you posting pics at one time of that interior, would like to see it again if you still have it.
I guess that I'm still somewhat confused however too, (perhaps now more than ever), as (by the pic included in your post), it appears that some white interior cars came with (blue) seats, and others (like the POS car) came with white? This seems inconsistant with any logical conclusions I can derive from pics of the very few white interior II's I've seen about how these cars might have been optioned...and something I can not make sense of.

Do you know if the carpet color in white interiors was always coordinated to match (or determined by) the exterior color of the car...seeing there is no white carpet cars? This seems to be the only thing that seems constant about this matter...and again assuming that white "Cobras" with white interiors would have used either black carpet and trim like yours, or color matched carpet and trim to the color of the stripes used in the Cobra package ordered. It would further seem if this thinking is correct, that the carpet color WAS what determined the color used on the steering column, dash and kick panels in all other models as well.

The (my) car I was speaking of is the white/green stripe car.

I believe the seats in the ebay car are blue, badly faded/worn. I'm reasonably certain that it had the same interior as the one I posted further up.

I have never seen, in person, another white interior Cobra II, so a lot is guessing at this point. I would assume that there may be some white/red interiors in '77 Cobras out there, as the combo has been seen in non-Cobra cars. White/green trim is possible, I guess, but I'd say it's probably a one-off if one ever existed. I did see a picture of a white/green interior at http://www.mustangii.net/photo_temp...magename=images/visitors/aldrich_coupe773.jpg Looks to be black carpet and belts?
Glad the original buyer sped'd all white for mine :D

Well, you almost had me convinced that those seats were faded. I hadn't even thought of that, and it's apparent that the car has ben sitting in the sun for some time. But, the seat backs ARE white...so, now I'm wondering and bet you are too! :shrug:

Yep, I believe you are right. Sure looks like white vinyl on the bottom under the plastic seatback.

I was comparing the seating upper surface to what appears to be carpet by the console. Guess my mind just saw them as blue since I have seen those seats in blue so many times.

If it wasn't so far, I'd go scope it out, but even with the headstart of being in Okla, it's a haul to Abeliene.

Took the white/red car out for a spin this afternoon. Forgot how well it drove, pretty tight. Guess that's the upside of taking one dang near all the way apart during the rebuild.

Here's MY white interior again

I'll use this thread again to make a few comments about another II on Ebay right now: http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2472383709&category=6236

This apprasial seems rather interesting, in regard to the mention of its "un-restored" condition. Must be this Cobra came thru the factory with tape strips on the top of its front bumper?! Not to mention the fact, the other (tape) stripes on top of the car appear to have a considerable reflective quality..especially for a 28 year old car with such mileage! I don't think I've ever seen a original set hold up that well, or that long. Could it be the climate of the Pacific Northwest? In short, I'd say this car has likely been at least partially repainted (wide stripes) at some point in time....but, I certainly could be wrong too. Maybe they really are still that good....wow. I'm also wondering a bit if those parking lamp bezels are argent colored replacement units, instead of the chome ones it would have originally come with.

Overall, the car looks very good and solid, despite the possible repaint work that would technically keep it from being a perfect untouched original. But, I've always considered painting them acceptable and an improvement. Too bad there are no good interior pics which might give a better idea of its true overall condition.....although the door panels do look extremly nice. It's a very nice car that would look even better (IMO), if the owner lose the door rub strips and outlined white letter tires, and put on a set of sloted wheels instead. Some additional detailing work under the hood would probably be worth the effort...something I need to do to my own car too! After looking at Sal's underhood pics, I've developed a renewed appreciation for extra clean and tidy. This car would also make a good candidate as the recipient of his NOS exhaust system, if it's still for sale.

I'd like to think the appraisal was at least indicitive of an upward trend to the value of these cars...despite the fact it seems possibly a bit inflated in it's true market pricing, and vague in regard to the qualifications of whomever did it. It will be interesting to watch the outcome of this auction!

LXXVICOBRA said:
I'll use this thread again to make a few comments about another II on Ebay right now: http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2472383709&category=6236

This apprasial seems rather interesting, in regard to the mention of its "un-restored" condition. Must be this Cobra came thru the factory with tape strips on the top of its front bumper?! Not to mention the fact, the other (tape) stripes on top of the car appear to have a considerable reflective quality..especially for a 28 year old car with such mileage! I don't think I've ever seen a original set hold up that well, or that long. Could it be the climate of the Pacific Northwest? In short, I'd say this car has likely been at least partially repainted (wide stripes) at some point in time....but, I certainly could be wrong too. Maybe they really are still that good....wow. I'm also wondering a bit if those parking lamp bezels are argent colored replacement units, instead of the chome ones it would have originally come with.

Overall, the car looks very good and solid, despite the possible repaint work that would technically keep it from being a perfect untouched original. But, I've always considered painting them acceptable and an improvement. Too bad there are no good interior pics which might give a better idea of its true overall condition.....although the door panels do look extremly nice. It's a very nice car that would look even better (IMO), if the owner lose the door rub strips and outlined white letter tires, and put on a set of sloted wheels instead. Some additional detailing work under the hood would probably be worth the effort...something I need to do to my own car too! After looking at Sal's underhood pics, I've developed a renewed appreciation for extra clean and tidy. This car would also make a good candidate as the recipient of his NOS exhaust system, if it's still for sale.

I'd like to think the appraisal was at least indicitive of an upward trend to the value of these cars...despite the fact it seems possibly a bit inflated in it's true market pricing, and vague in regard to the qualifications of whomever did it. It will be interesting to watch the outcome of this auction!

I saw that car today too. I don't like that he's using a Ford promo pic as his main picture, but I guess it did it's job as I was attracted to it because of the wheels. I also noticed the incorrect front bumper. There should be no stripe on the top of the bumper, or the valance. Other than that, the car looks better than any claimed "originals" I've seen. Of course those aren't the greatest pics either, and no interior shot, but the rest of the car looks pretty correct. The unstriped cowl impressed me :). I bet that car sells for over 6k. I have no idea what the reserve is set at, but I'd guess at least 8k based on his "appraisal" sales pitch.

It's a nice car, hope it finds a good home. I contacted the guy who tried to get me to sell him my car after is was already sold and told him about it.

A few problems I see:

The apprasial is 2 years old. I don't think anyone can deny that the car market has become much softer in the last 2 years, unless the PNW has somehow escaped the downward trend.

The appraiser added a premium for being owned by the original buyer. This has never been proven to be worth additional value. There are and always have been buyers that pamper a car, and buyers that do nothing to it. I see many 1-owner cars on a daily basis that are nothing I would want to own based upon the condition they're in.

The apprasial does not take into account the paint damage. Additionally, the appraiser makes no mention of the refinish work in the quote. Perhaps he was not familiar with the car model he was appraising, and assumed (or took the owner's word) that the stripes/paint were original.

I'm pretty sure this car was previously listed in the last 2 months

Yep, here it is...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=2463134489

THE COBRAMAN said:
As far as white interiors go:

On my '77, the dash/pad, carpet, seat belts, kick panels, and steering column are black. Everything else (including speaker grilles) is white: headliner, visors, door panels (white deluxe did not get carpeted bottoms), cargo panels, all interior moldings against headliner, a-pillar moldings, seat belt trim rings, dome lamp body. The underside of the lift gate was painted interior white as well.

Same in my 78 non-Cobra T-top. I also have the dual remote mirrors, F&R swaybars, sport wheel, and very similar door panels....with dark green exterior

Blue coyote said:
Same in my 78 non-Cobra T-top. I also have the dual remote mirrors, F&R swaybars, sport wheel, and very similar door panels....with dark green exterior

It would seem that your car was one of the ones that had the sports group package offered in late '77-78, which I believe also included a front spoiler if desired at no extra charge, and the aluminum dash inserts. I think those rather rare cars all received the competition suspension package (or perhaps just the sway bars) as part of the deal too, but I am not 100% certain. The ironic thought about such cars in any case, is the fact that they benefited from having these bars (and the sport wheel) that lots early Cobras didn't even get.... as the competition suspension was (at first) a separate line item option, and the wheel wasn't available until '77.

Cobraman...thanks for reposting your interior pic. It's always made sense to me, that a white interior car would come with white seats too. In fact, I'd almost expect it to have a white console too. The other pic you posted of the car with the blue seats and white door panels seems quite unusual. I've never sen one like it. It has a high level trim upholstry package (including plush carpet) all in blue... blue dash, column and dash pieces, but white door and interior panels. It's beyond me, how the car could have been ordered as such!

Only thing I can figure is that they wanted cloth, and there was no white cloth option.

Blue cloth seats would be better than the blue version of the white/green seats in my other post. That fabric's a little busy for me! I remember seeing that wild blue cloth in a car from the Washington state show. I think somebody's got a rear seat in that cloth on ebay right now, too.

LXXVICOBRA said:
It would seem that your car was one of the ones that had the sports group package offered in late '77-78, which I believe also included a front spoiler if desired at no extra charge, and the aluminum dash inserts. I think those rather rare cars all received the competition suspension package (or perhaps just the sway bars) as part of the deal too, but I am not 100% certain. The ironic thought about such cars in any case, is the fact that they benefited from having these bars (and the sport wheel) that lots early Cobras didn't even get.... as the competition suspension was (at first) a separate line item option, and the wheel wasn't available until '77.

Yeah, it has the shredded remains of a stock front spoiler as well as the aluminum dash inserts (which I changed to the light woodgrain). I have the original white rear seat, but the front white buckets are long gone. I currently don't have a driver's seat, and the passenger seat is red velour.
Figures that it actually is a bit rare. I had thought the only thing even "uncommon" about it was the T-roof on a non-Cobra. Oh well, its not original anymore anyway.

Any way to tell if it has the competition suspension rather than just the swaybars?

Any way to tell if it has the competition suspension rather than just the swaybars?

Not easily that know of, unless you had the build sheet or the car still had the OEM Gabriel 3 way adjustable shocks. The competition package also had stiffer springs, but that may have been only for V8 cars that required them. I'm not sure if there would have been a required wheel option (slotted or 5.5in styled steel) either, unless the car had the V8. I supppose that's always another thing to consider about the Cobras, as not all of them were V8's. But, I'd dare guess they still all got the wider wheels.

Cobraman, You have a great selection of II photos! Hmm, I agree about those seats too. BTW, I have a set of those in Orange (Tangerine)... :eek:

LXXVICOBRA said:
Not easily that know of, unless you had the build sheet or the car still had the OEM Gabriel 3 way adjustable shocks. The competition package also had stiffer springs, but that may have been only for V8 cars that required them. I'm not sure if there would have been a required wheel option (slotted or 5.5in styled steel) either, unless the car had the V8. I supppose that's always another thing to consider about the Cobras, as not all of them were V8's. But, I'd dare guess they still all got the wider wheels.

Hmm...curiouser and curiouser....

I don't have the Gabriels (not surprising on a car I didn't get possession of until it was over 15 yrs old), but mine was originally a V8. The original rims are also long gone (a couple were warped when I bought it, so I replaced them). They were the slotted steel, but no idea how wide they were.

Either way, having the swaybars, T-top braces, and being originally a V8 car (swapping in a built-to-the-nuts 2.8) should make for a nice stiff ride anyway. Now if only I had the cash for a set of subframe connectors (the 2.8 I'm using once twisted the front subframe of a 74 Pinto over 8" out of alignment and blew out the back window!). Well, that and the fact that with the 4.10 Trak/Lok I'm putting in it I seriously doubt that my 13" lacy mags would let the car get over about 65 mph (gotta find some 80's Turbine-style mags)

Other than the noted interior and engine differences (mine has no console, but has the woodgrain door panel inserts) and colour combination (mine is Jade Green exterior and White interior), that one looks like a much nicer condition version of mine. Interesting, though....mine is also a 78, but doesn't have the vertical bumper pads front or rear (looks like it never had them) the way that one does. Mine also didn't have the slotted alloys.

Sadly, I'm finding more and more that needs to be done to mine before I even TRY putting it on the road. My rear bumper frame is more than half rotted away. I noticed some rust, but when I tapped it a few times there ended up being at least 3 pounds of flakey loose rusted crud on my garage floor.