Edelbrock vs. Holley

mustang_freak

Dec 12, 2004
Hi,

I'm just wondering which carb is the better between a Edelbrock 750 cfm and a Holley 735 cfm from a 69 Mach 1? Or do anyone have a better suggestion?

Its' for a 69 Mach 1 428 cj.

Btw; Do anyone know where I can buy 4.10 gears?

//thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

mustang_freak said:
Hi,

I'm just wondering which carb is the better between a Edelbrock 750 cfm and a Holley 735 cfm from a 69 Mach 1? Or do anyone have a better suggestion?

Its' for a 69 Mach 1 428 cj.

Btw; Do anyone know where I can buy 4.10 gears?

//thanks.

Personally I would go with a Demon carb. They look good and are extremely tunable. You can get gears from Summit or Jegs.

either carb will work fine, i personally have always had holleys and am more familiar with them. as far as 4.10 rear axle for the street you may want to go with 3.50s or 3.73s instead, unless you have a overdrive trans.

i have 4.10s in my car and am planning to change them this spring to make the car more highway friendly.

[QUOTE='66427coupe]either carb will work fine, i personally have always had holleys and am more familiar with them. as far as 4.10 rear axle for the street you may want to go with 3.50s or 3.73s instead, unless you have a overdrive trans.

i have 4.10s in my car and am planning to change them this spring to make the car more highway friendly.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a 69 mach 1?
Do you think the rpm is to high on the highway? How is it on the street?

//thanks.

mustang_freak said:
Do you have a 69 mach 1?
Do you think the rpm is to high on the highway? How is it on the street?

//thanks.

if you dont have overdrive, you dont wanna go with 4.10's. I had em on my 67 when i first got it, Im pretty sure the 4200 rpm 70mph deal was what helped wear my cam bearings out and crap out the rest of the motor so quickly. I run 3.00's now :D 18.5 mpg at 80mph :D and it will stick smoke a new single cab hemi hehehe

I prefer Edelbrocks for stock stuff or mild performance applications. They're easy to adjust, seem to get better gas mileage, and keep their tune well. My experience with the several edelbrocks I've used has been that most of the time you can bolt them on, set the idle, and go. I've never had any problems with bogging, hesitation, or air/fuel mixture. That beig said, I've never seen any winning hardcore racers using edelbrock on their racecars. Holley would be preferred for a more performance oriented application. Holley's have a nearly infinite range of adjustment, so if/when you get it dialed in, you'll be good to go. Sometimes they work great right out of the box, other times you have to spend some time tuning to get them to work right.

In your situation, with a 69 Mach 1 and a 428 CJ, I'd stick with the stock 735 holley, or a generic replacement 750 Holley, you won't notice a difference in performance when either is tuned properly.

And, 3.25's seem to be the best all around gear for frequent highway cruising, while still having fun at redlights. With all that big block torque, you won't notice a performance difference between the 3.25's and 3.50's, but the rpms will be more comfortable on the road. 4.10's is definatley too much for a highway car without overdrive. In my 65 F100, I normally run 3.25's, and with a 28" tall tire, they're fine on the highway. I have a 2.47 geared chunk from a Lincoln that I swap in for occasional long distance freeway trips(i.e. Power Tour). In my 66 mustang, I used to run a 3.25 chunk and it was fine on the highway with 26" tall tires, but it was a little buzzy on the freeway going 75 mph, the overdrive and 3.70's fixed that though.

302 coupe said:
I prefer Edelbrocks for stock stuff or mild performance applications. They're easy to adjust, seem to get better gas mileage, and keep their tune well. My experience with the several edelbrocks I've used has been that most of the time you can bolt them on, set the idle, and go. I've never had any problems with bogging, hesitation, or air/fuel mixture. That beig said, I've never seen any winning hardcore racers using edelbrock on their racecars.

My sentiments exactly. For a driver, my Edelbrock has been perfect and quite literally "maintenance free" for 9 years. If I were making a race car I would go with a Holley, or more likely a Demon (which is basically a redesigned Holley anyway).

for the street i recomend the edelbrock as it requires far less maintenance than the holley does. the holley has its problems with things like passages that are too small and clog easily, and they run fuel through a gasketed area and are prone to leakage. the edelbrock does not have these problems. both carbs are easily tunable. the holley also has a problem with blowing out power valves, whereas the edelbrock uses pistons and vacuum to run the power system.

mustang freak, do yourself a favor and do a search on the subject of Holley vs. Edelbrock (maybe not that exact search). This has been gone thru many times and very heated at some points. With what the car is, I'd stay with the stock carb.

1320stang said:
mustang freak, do yourself a favor and do a search on the subject of Holley vs. Edelbrock (maybe not that exact search). This has been gone thru many times and very heated at some points. With what the car is, I'd stay with the stock carb.

OK, sorry, thx for the tip :nice:

3.25 gear for sure with that FE.

Holley all the way for the carb.
Edelbrocks will bolt on and go without any hassle, but they suck performance wise.
Get a Holley tuning book and set the carb right the first time and it will go years trouble free and make more power than the Edelbrock (Federal Mogul part with an Edelbrock sticker).
If a new carb is in order, the 3310 Holley is the way to go for streetability and performance.
Dave