Electric Fan question

PhLoBuS

Aug 15, 2004
Beverly, MA
I am looking to get an electric fan for my mustang and want to get a good quality one. I hear good things about flex-a-lite but I want to know what you guys think. Also what model of the electric fan? Let me know, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I know you will get a lot of different opinions on this....I might as well start it off. :)

I personally went with a Taurus fan. It was $15 bucks at the local boneyard....and there were about 10 of them out there.

Fett said:
I know you will get a lot of different opinions on this....I might as well start it off. :)

I personally went with a Taurus fan. It was $15 bucks at the local boneyard....and there were about 10 of them out there.
:stupid: Easy to wire up and enough to cool my car in the Texas heat.

Another guy who'd get an OEM fan (from a Mark VIII, 3.8L Taurus, etc) before buying aftermarket stuff (sans perhaps Spal).

To control the fan you get, Chris uses a thermal switch and a relay, whereas I chose to use a DcControl.com controller. Personal preference on that, all the way.

Good luck.

Another Vote for OEM fan. I went with a 1996 Mark Viii fan off of eBay for $25.00 + the DCC FK35 for $109.xx and couldn't have been happier. I've got a thread aroudn here somewhere about my install.

I've got a Flex-a-lite Extreme 185 on my Naturally aspirated '88 vert with stock radiator. works great. Cools nicely. I've got Ramchargers dual slimlines on my SSC to clear the HD radiator and Supercharger pulleys. Awesome Fans. Love em.

New taurus fan from the local auto body supply shop was 60$$, unfortunately local bone yards are attempting to retire with every sale so price of new was actually 10$ more than junkyard. I remember when I had my taurus fan hooked up to a relay..when I hit the toggle you might have thought a 747 was taking off...it WOUND up and you could litterally FEEL air at the sides of the car being moved. The DC controler is what I use as well..it moderates fan speed, maintains temp better, is much easier on your charging system.

You should of course talk to Mr Baskin yourself (his email is on his site) but there's only one fan (a Derale, IIRC) that requires the 60 amp controller.

Good luck.

Yup, my Mark Viii ran off the DCC perfectly. The 60 is overkill and I'm all about doing things right and doing them once. What ever fan you end up going with, make sure that you are also thinking about the charging system as well. It would stink to not beable to have the headlights on while waiting at an intersection to cross the road simply because your cars alternator doesn't produce enough juice.

But there I go again... I'll stop now.

support at dccontrol dot com <=should be the email address. (I typed it out so no spam bots find it...)