Electric locks not working

tarponboy

Oct 12, 2002
St. Louis, MO
What's up all. Okay, here's the deal... I just bought a 1991 LX 5.0 hatch. All in all the car is in really good condition. My current problem is that the doors will not lock electronically or manually with a key. The previous owner indicates the alarm system previously installed may be the cause. Currently the alarm is deactivated and won't work without the keyfob anyway. Can't anyone wire things properly? Geez... Anyway, does anyone have any experience with similar situations, and know what I should look for. I plan to completely remove the alarm, along with all the wiring for the alarm and start from ground zero. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks everyone...

• Sponsors (?)

your locks should work mechanically regaurdless of the alarm system unless the door actuators are froze(common)wrong keys,or the tumblers are wore out in the locks.if the door locks are factory they should still work without the remote unless somebody seriously screwed up(quite possible)have had to remove one too many aftermarket alarm and remote systems because somebody lost the remotes,bought the car without them, or they went off all the time,pos.

I would say that most likely your actuators are froze. I had this problem with my car a few years ago. I do have an alarm on mine also and it was not the problem. Removing the actuators solved my problem. My car had about 145,000 miles on it when I first experienced the problem and I am the original owner. Also be careful of removing the actuators since most of the time the plastic clip breaks on the electrical connection, or the mount breaks. They also take a special pop rivit to re-install. I hope this helps.

SJ

my power door locks have never worked....so i took off the door panels today and guess what...no lock actuator to be found. no mounting bracket or anything. its got power windows and a button for power locks, but no actuator or even a place that it would go

if they dont work manually (with key) another vote for frozen actuators. if the key turns in the lock but they dont unlock, someone might have removed the linkage.

Jrichker has a nice write up using actuators that cost under 4 bucks each. i did the conversion and like it.
good luck.

As requested...

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

good luck. let us know how it turns out and how you like it. i really like the prospect of a new actuator costing 4 bucks in the future. pretty easy retrofit too. J.R.'s pics and write up are top notch.