Electric Supercharger???

• Sponsors (?)

I think that under the right people an electric supercharger might be a cool idea. Probably cheaper too. But get a 20-30 amp fan with even an electric transmision on it. Fully adjustable and no belts to wear out. And I belive That a fan will last longer mechanicly than a belt would. Given a little bit of american enginering or some good old jurry rigging. You never know we all might have elec. superchargers some day. Just think of the horses!

The shaft power for a supercharger can be as high as 40kW if you are making big boost, and a small 4 cylinder turbo engine making perhaps 200hp will have a turbo shaft power (from turbine to compressor) of around 10kW max. So if you want an electric supercharger that is going to generate similar flow and boost then you would be looking at 830 amps (at 12 volts). To power the compressor you would need a BIG electric motor and a BIG altenator so you still end up drawing power from the engine.

I only know this because a few years ago I got all excited about it just like you did and I did some research - when you dig a little deeper there is no easy power gains to be had. Now if the auto industry moves to 42V electrics then it might be another matter...

I invented it! So there!

I've taken the heating coils out of 5 of the BEST hairdryers Wallmart has to offer. Duct taped them to the inlet side of my throttle body and purchased a quarter mile of extention cord. FEAR ME!!! I could be sitting in the staging lane right next to you!
:rlaugh: :lol: :D

thats pretty much what i figured, just thought i'd see if anyone had any experiences with them. I wonder how much this guy is making selling his $150 hair dryers :rolleyes:

Oh god here we go again!
You guy's don't remember that thred that went for ever (or was that on the Corral?)?
It was halarious!
It's worth doing a search for.

About the guy(s) selling those POS's on ebay, there was even a guy who would "sell" a "these electric superchargers are a total scam, rip off" item on ebay, he would list an "item" and all it was, was a warnning about those rip off blowers. kind of cool actually. ebay should have banned those things long ago, it is a blatant false advertising rip off and all it takes is for some poor moron to fall for it once or twice a week to keep that thiefs pockets lined. :bang:

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Hmmmm I think I'll have to bid on one for my Lawnmower... maybe I can rig it up somehow...... :nonono: :nonono:

I wonder how long it take's before all the ricer's in town start trying to rig one up on there 4 Banger. I can see it now..... running tubing from there heater blower motor to blow more air into the Throttle Body........... I can hear it now....With the Flick Of My heater switch I get an instant 80HP Power increase Man!!! :nonono:

I remember an old Car Craft issue where the question of electric superchargers was written to then-technical editor Marlan Davis. I cant remember all of the article, but he explained through mathematic formulas and logical reasoning that it would be impossible to use this setup in a car, and I'll write what I can remember. Remember, a belt driven supercharger requires a lot of power to drive the impellers fast enough to create boost and supply the necessary CFM requirements. A supercharger takes somewhere between 25-50 HP to drive (depending on model and application) to create boost. Think of the size of a 25 horsepower electric motor! And then think of the size and weight of an alternator capable of supplying the amperage needed to drive such a motor. Then imagine the massive wiring needed to carry that current. And to top it off, try fitting all that under the hood of a car.