electrical help

Guled22

Apr 2, 2004
I bought my car with fog lights on the car but the the switch is'nt hooked up to any harness or any thing. Can you guys tell me what i need to do to make the fog lights work. I also wanted to make my cigarette lighter work but when I looked at the wires it was just hooked up to two switches that wern't connected to anything how do I fix this and make it so that it's connected to a power source?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok - The fog lights first: You'll need to find a ignition source in the car somewhere (means when you turn the key to start the car this wire gets juice put on it), Get a relay from the auto parts store, some wire (probably 10 ga. stranded), and the proper terminal ends to connect everthing together. Connect wire from ignition source thru the coil terminal on the relay. Take the other side of the coil terminal and connect to a ground somewhere in/out of the car. Connect another wire from the alternator outpost and connect that side to the terminal on the relay which idicates a set of contacts. Connect a wire from the other terminal on the relay contacts and run that wire into the car thru your switch, then thru a in-line fuse and out to the fog lights.
As for the lighter I would first attempt to piggyback that onto a fuse such as the one for power windows. If you find your blowing fuses to often you could wire this right to the alternator outpost as well and it would always be on wether the car is or not. I would use either 10 or 8 ga. wire for that.
Hope this helps.
DB