Electrical electrical smell

justin82

Sep 14, 2017
hey guys another question...lol
driving, suddenly smell what I think was electrical...last a little bit,...I thought I was the alternator, but car hasn't died yet...ran it for about a half hour last night...any thiughts?...

thanks for answering all my questions all the time!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, there's the electrical burning smell which usually smells like plastic and rubber or whatever the connector is made of when it melts.

And there's the ozone smell like 1980s video games when a spark flashes in air and creates ozone. Usually open sparking (electrical discharge) causes this

Well, there's the electrical burning smell which usually smells like plastic and rubber or whatever the connector is made of when it melts.

And there's the ozone smell like 1980s video games when a spark flashes in air and creates ozone. Usually open sparking (electrical discharge) causes this

I guess I'll look for melted plastic?

The 89.5 had a replacement alternator plug. Mine melted a few times and I replaced it with original parts. Finally I used high amp aircraft wiring and built my own, voila! Problem solved.

The ignition switch had a recall and if it has not been replaced, contact a local dealer to set an appointment.

The fog light switch also had overheating problems. I bought a new switch and a light relay. Then rewired with high amp aircraft wire and, voila! Eventually I bypassed the bright light switch that turned off the fog lights when I switched on the brights.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont see any melted wires, I do happen to have a. ignition switch....i just bought an alternator and the 2 new plugs that I'll have to splice to attach....hope that solves it