Emergency brake broke?>

Matto

Apr 21, 2003
Arkansas
Need some help here guys, on my 5spd 97 GT, the other day I pulled back on the emergency brake and it felt "loose" it had slack all the way towards the top then it had a little bit of tightness that was only good enough to keep my car from rolling on a slight incline with it in neutral, but today its all slack, the emergency brake doesn't work at all. What do you guys think I broke? And am I gonna have to take the whole thing apart?

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that it sounds like your e brake cable. These get streched sometimes need to be tightened or replaced. The cable runs to your rear calibers, but it is possible it was snapped somewhere in between. Comes with use. Not sure if you do it, dont always pull your handle all the way up. That certianly causes the snapping and steching.

DarKPnyVA said:
I would say that it sounds like your e brake cable. These get streched sometimes need to be tightened or replaced. The cable runs to your rear calibers, but it is possible it was snapped somewhere in between. Comes with use. Not sure if you do it, dont always pull your handle all the way up. That certianly causes the snapping and steching.
Yup, I'm sure thats what did it. I always get "excited" I guess and throw it back real hard so it musta snapped... do you guys think this will be able to be replaced at the rear tire, or am I going to have to take apart my console. I told a mechanic friend of mine who said I may have to take apart my console and replace something there. Hopefully thats not the case.