Emisions question?

SMOKEDYA

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 13, 2003
Tucson AZ
Since i'm doing the mod's i figured that now is a good time to delete my EGR and all the smog pump stuff including the tube from the back of the head's. So does anyone know if i will be able to pass emisions still with the 95 in washington? peace

john :p

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe off topic, but I moved here a couple of months ago, and there is no way my car is gonna pass, anyone know where I can get my car to pass? I was gonna buy a mid pipe w/cats, but I don't know if my car will pass with those. I was thinking about the whole exemption thing, but I just got the car runnin ok, and don't want to have someone else work on it, and I've been told that when they inspect under the hood, everyhting's gotta be stock. I've got some stock pieces , but would rather not do that

Thanks,

There is no underhood inspection here.

Nor do I see why your car would not pass as long as you add cats -- unless the EGR is that big a factor and have removed it. I passed my carb'd car with no emissions equipment, but I could easily adjust the carb to do that -- not sure how an EFI engine w/o EGR will act.

If you just remove the EGR, the computer will throw a code and your Check Engine light will come on. That's an automatic failure if your check engine light's on.

I don't know why you'd get rid of EGR anyway. It won't give you more horsepower or anything. You can remove smog stuff without removing EGR system. They're separate systems...

-Mike

autoX said:
If you just remove the EGR, the computer will throw a code and your Check Engine light will come on. That's an automatic failure if your check engine light's on.

I don't know why you'd get rid of EGR anyway. It won't give you more horsepower or anything. You can remove smog stuff without removing EGR system. They're separate systems...

-Mike

I'm sure Jon will be visiting Chung to have a custom chip burned, in light of his recent mods. As such, Chung will turn the EGR system "off" on the chip. In other words, the ECU will ignore the whole system. In this case, no code will be thrown if the system is deleted. The system does impact emissions and fuel economy, though it will not impact Jon's car enough to prevent it from passing. Jon will probably want to have his timing set to 10 degrees initial and run premium fuel when he goes to have the sniffer test done. On an engine with his mods, he will still pass with a nice margin on all tested categories. My '95 GT passed with a stage 1 TFS cam, two high-flow cats and deleted EGR system. As for horsepower, a deletion can add some power, however negligable it may be. My car benefited from A/C and EGR deletion, along with a phenolic spacer. Hopefully, I can hit the dyno in the next few months to see how much these changes netted me. The EGR system impacts power via it's dumping hot exhaust gas into the intake just behind the throttle body. By deleting this, one gains a cooler intake temperature, which means more power. The trade-off is a slight loss of cold start up drivability and a tiny decrease in fuel economy. To say that deleting the system adds no power, is a misinformed statement to make.

BTW, While the emision stations do not typicaly do an under hood check, they are authorized to do one if they believe there is a problem... Also, when moving here from another state, Washington does have a vehicle inspection requirement for older (not sure of year cutoff) vehicles or ANY not curently registered and/or licenced in another state.

In other words, if the licence expired in your previous state before obtaining licence in Washington, then a State Patrol inspection is required, this inspection includes a under hood inspection, lights, horn, wipers, glass, mirrors, seat belts, and exhaust inspection. This also aplies to cars purchased out of state OR being re-registered after a title is marked as a recovered from total, theft, abandonment, or lost title.

89MustangGX said:
There is no underhood inspection here.

Nor do I see why your car would not pass as long as you add cats -- unless the EGR is that big a factor and have removed it. I passed my carb'd car with no emissions equipment, but I could easily adjust the carb to do that -- not sure how an EFI engine w/o EGR will act.

Well, my g/f's car didn't pass, we did the exemption thing where if you spend over $150 on the car, and it still doesn't pass, they will exempt you if still fail. But they did check under the hood and under the car for a visual. I spoke w/a shop and they said that the car has to be stock and they will check visually. I know this is probably not a good indication to see if it will pass, but my car has a horrid exhaust smell, I don't remember if my cam is emissions legal, don't know if my heads being ported affects anything ( they were hogged out) and my full lengths I've heard will cause a problem (going to try to warm up the car before so 02's will kick in). My egr stuff is still there , but I don't know the condition that its in.

loud 95 said:
To say that deleting the system adds no power, is a misinformed statement to make.

Forgive me for rounding down.

Also, please tell us how an EGR works and what it does. I was under the impression that it's open at idle and part throttle (cruising) and closed at full throttle. If it's closed at full throttle anyway, how would removing it add HP?

dstanggt50 said:
Well, my g/f's car didn't pass, we did the exemption thing where if you spend over $150 on the car, and it still doesn't pass, they will exempt you if still fail. But they did check under the hood and under the car for a visual. I spoke w/a shop and they said that the car has to be stock and they will check visually. I know this is probably not a good indication to see if it will pass, but my car has a horrid exhaust smell, I don't remember if my cam is emissions legal, don't know if my heads being ported affects anything ( they were hogged out) and my full lengths I've heard will cause a problem (going to try to warm up the car before so 02's will kick in). My egr stuff is still there , but I don't know the condition that its in.

If you go the $150. route the car doesn't need to be stock but the emssions equipment must be present. There are many mods that are emissions legal.

O2 Sensors have their own heaters.

If you have cats and you can turn down your FP, you should pass unless you are running a cam with a lot of duration. You will fail the idle portion of the test at that point. I read an article outlining 20 things you could do to guarantee that you will pass the test -in California. I remember things like: put your timing at TDC, turn down your FP, change your oil before the test, run a percentage of alcohol, etc. Do a little research if you are going to put it through the smog procedure. I know people who have got 11 second cars through.

stock50LX said:
If you go the $150. route the car doesn't need to be stock but the emssions equipment must be present. There are many mods that are emissions legal.

O2 Sensors have their own heaters.

If you have cats and you can turn down your FP, you should pass unless you are running a cam with a lot of duration. You will fail the idle portion of the test at that point. I read an article outlining 20 things you could do to guarantee that you will pass the test -in California. I remember things like: put your timing at TDC, turn down your FP, change your oil before the test, run a percentage of alcohol, etc. Do a little research if you are going to put it through the smog procedure. I know people who have got 11 second cars through.

Yeah, I know the 02's heat up on their own, but I've been told that the full lengths will affect how they read until the car has been warmed up. I will search some more, and look into the other options as well, thanks.. :nice:

As far as the EGR goes to a point mine isnt hooked up! Well the tube that run's to the header isnt, but all the electrical connection's were, so that's really all i'm disconnecting as well as removing the EGR itself from the intake. BUT if chung can run a program for the check engine light when i get the chip like loud said then i should be ok? The main reason i'm doing this is to clean it up under there and i dont have to do emision's for 2 years. I really want to do the fox transfere but that will come after i get it up and running! Besides as far as i know the fox's dont have an EGR do they? I'm preaty shure they dont cause they dont run a tube down to the header's like on the S/N cars do, so that's why i didnt think it would matter if it's not there at all? My car did pass fine without the tube from the EGR to the header's hooked up! peace

john :p