Engine Engine and Transmission Removal Tips

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello;

After much researching and parts ordering I am going to start the removal of my engine for rebuilding on my 90GT this weekend.

I have pulled engines before but mostly on smaller compact cars like Hondas and Subarus in a shop setting, so this will be the first time doing it on a Foxbody and in my own home garage.

Couple questions:

1. Would you guys recommend pulling the engine and transmission together? or dropping the transmission separately? The car is an AOD, and I am under the impression that because it's considerably larger and heavier than a T5, it might be difficult to pull out as one complete unit. (I have an engine hoist, load leveler, and large friend to help)

2. The car still has the original metal brackets with the loops attached to the headers, are these the best places to attach the chain even with the transmission attached?

Any other tips and tricks would be appreciated. I have read a lot of previous threads on this topic but it seems like everyone has a T5, and I'm lame and have an automatic :( So I am looking for input, suggestions, tips, ticks, or cautionary tales.

Thank you all for your time, As the process goes on, I'll update with progress pictures and probably questions.

-Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Automatics don’t weigh all that much more than the t5. I always prefer to pull the engine and trans out separately, it’s just always what I’ve done. Automatics usually take less time to pull out IMO

I like to pull off the accessory bolt holes on the heads, one on the front and one on the back. I’ve pulled using header bolt locations if you have iron heads as well.

A 5.0 is one of the easier engines to take out. Just take your time, zip tie things back after disconnecting and it’ll be a breeze.

I like to put bolts in ziploc baggies and write on the baggie with sharpie what they're for. Helps to keep things organized.

When removing the bellhousing bolts, do the hardest ones first. Sometimes you need to jack the tail of the trans up, or drop it down to get access to the tricky ones. But do the hardest ones first because you dont want the assembly coming apart when you're working on the difficult to reach fasteners.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the input guys! I’ve starting taking the engine apart for removal. Current plan is to drop the transmission separately.

Took off all the accessories, dropped the exhaust, removed the first couple bell housing bolts from the top side of the engine. Thus far, cutting the exhaust off for better access has been the hardest part.

Unfortunately temps are dropping again here in Wisconsin even though it was in the mid 60’s today, there’s like 8 inches of snow coming in tomorrow, so that might slow my progress.

Attachments

• 83EF5C95-CDE1-4345-9EB1-C9703376B216.jpeg
    83EF5C95-CDE1-4345-9EB1-C9703376B216.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 145
  • A7D37180-C2D4-4DF1-AC75-E1F7A6EDC93D.jpeg
    A7D37180-C2D4-4DF1-AC75-E1F7A6EDC93D.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 users
Had to split the work up over two different weekends, but the motor is out. Thanks for your suggestions guys!

Attachments

• E06A4533-FE7E-4BB5-A036-B402345C315D.jpeg
    E06A4533-FE7E-4BB5-A036-B402345C315D.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 119