Engine compartment detail

Cdaniel

Founding Member
Nov 29, 2001
Arizona
So how do you all keep those engine compartments all spic and span? I'd like to keep my fresh engine looking that way as best as I can. I've had bad luck with the common engine degreasers removing paint and leaving spots.

Is there something better?

• Sponsors (?)

i use the stuff at the car wash to blow off all the nasty stuff, then i'll clean it at home to get all the nooks and crannies, usually just dish soap and a scrub brush and a few old towels. then i hit it with some air from the compressor to get all the water out so it doesn't spot. to keep it looking that way i use a 50/50 solution of armor-all and water sprayed everywhere under the hood, shock towers, firewall, engine, everything. just spray it on and le it dry and you're good to go

bnickel said:
i use the stuff at the car wash to blow off all the nasty stuff, then i'll clean it at home to get all the nooks and crannies, usually just dish soap and a scrub brush and a few old towels. then i hit it with some air from the compressor to get all the water out so it doesn't spot. to keep it looking that way i use a 50/50 solution of armor-all and water sprayed everywhere under the hood, shock towers, firewall, engine, everything. just spray it on and le it dry and you're good to go

Hmmmm. I'd think the Armorall would be a dirt magnet. You don't have a problem with that?

My engine compartment
t_9107590

Cdaniel said:
Hmmmm. I'd think the Armorall would be a dirt magnet. You don't have a problem with that?

yeah, if you use too much and don't let it dry, that's also where the 50/50 solution comes into play. you have to do fairly often and make sure you get everything as clean as possible before using it. i live in west texas, the dust capital of america and don't have a big problem with it. in fact it's actually easier to get the dirt off that way, it doesn't stick as bad