Engine Cutout - Blue Smoke Question - Pic of Car Attached

01BlkGT said:
Wasnt there a whole debate about 4v MAC LT's causing excessive scavenging thus leading to oil consumption :shrug: Maybe that could be the problem...

yes there there is a problem with the 4vs and the scavenging. Not the 2vs. Im not sure if MAC corrected the problem though. kind of sucks since scavenging creates more power.

• Sponsors (?)

snoopy98 said:
blue smoke is bad ju ju :(

When conducting more research on corral.net (They have a way more technical thread), fellas around here (are all old school mid you - 69 Camaro 396's HO headers and all), they cannot see how some weld slag or some other particles in the header would get into the cylinders of the engine. Upon start-up (boom - they should all be gone out the exhaust) This should happen much before they would get sucked up a tiny EGR valve that they do not even know where this EGV valve tube goes in the newer engines.

world.of.wheels said:
When conducting more research on corral.net (They have a way more technical thread), fellas around here (are all old school mid you - 69 Camaro 396's HO headers and all), they cannot see how some weld slag or some other particles in the header would get into the cylinders of the engine. Upon start-up (boom - they should all be gone out the exhaust) This should happen much before they would get sucked up a tiny EGR valve that they do not even know where this EGV valve tube goes in the newer engines.

Engine Baroscoped today.

Piece of slag found in Cylinder #7.
I bet I can prove it is from a MAC header too as it is embedded in my piston I am told. You want proof - I got it I guess - anyone filing a class action suit - I may have something you need.

Over and Out

This is what I thought.

scavenging is bs, there could be vacuum and not cause blue smoke.

Well, good luck getting MAC to help you out(I hope they will), they will prob say you should have prepped the headers pre install.

EDIT: forgot to add something for everyone. A lot of us are familiar with how an internal combustion engine works, well that said with very free flowing heads you get a vacuum in the exhaust AFTER the exhaust pulse and the exhaust valves are still open. Therefore @ low rpms and idle type load you will get anything near the top of the headers sucked in the exhaust side of the motor.

Voila

pdsq98gt said:
Could also possibly be valve seals leaking oil into the combustion chamber due to higher oil pressure at higher rpms, although I haven't heard of this problem on a 4.6. Just throwing out ideas. Sorry to say, but blue smoke is bad.

I know it's kind of a moot point by now, but the earlier 2V's (up to 98) were well known to have problems with leaky valve seals... I've seen older 2V's and newer (98+) 2V's, and the newer ones consume less oil between changes. Whether this applies to the 4V I'm not sure, the material may have been different. Just a FYI.

Were you told that the guy you bought it from spent $ 3000.00??? on exaust and CAI?? Maybe you can work with him to help get this fixed. I'm not saying it is his problem or he is even responsible. Find out who did the work and their policies. Get the Info together and write a letter to MAC. It will not hurt.
Blue smoke is usually bad, =Oil
Black = rich( fuel)
White= moisture(water) also bad :D

Let me open by saying that I have never seen a company have so many defective parts as MAC and I wouldn't put any MAC product on my car, even if it was free.

Corral.net certainly has some very good tech info. I remember a little over a year ago, many 4v owners had tremendous oil consumption problems after installing longtubes. It seems that the scavenging effect actually had oil backing up into the EGR. It most often happened with the BBK headers. If you search the Corral 4v forums for headers & BBK & oil etc, you may find some good info there. It's possible that even after your piston is replaced that you may still use oil.

jeez I don't need to hear all this! Is it just a 4V problem?? Cause I was planning on puttin BBK's long tubes on my car during the head swap.

If this problem is somehting I should be concerned about, what kinda of prepping the headers would eliminate this scavaging? There are so many people around here with LT's. This is the first time I've heard about this. :(

well i was told on another site that if you disconnected the EGR that you should be alright, because the disconnected egr will keep that crap from recycling through the engine. i think i'm going to try this when i install mine here shortly. i'm going to have a full documentation from my shop doing the install, including a overlook of the engine before the install & after. that way i can eliminate any kind of bs mac might try to call on me if a problem arises :nice:

GTblack_00 said:
You might want to have them clean around the insides of the tubes and welds so any loose slag and debris is removed

yeah i'm going to have them put the l/t's in their cleaning tank for a little while before the install & do the egr thing. hopefully that will clear me of a lot of potential problems