engine sputtering/missing

V_Stud

Jun 29, 2003
Woodbridge, VA
Well guys here it is,
Car Idles pretty normally, and is ok when I accelerate in 1st, but right after the 1-2shift, and every shift afterwards, the car sputters reallllly bad when i give it some gas. Also...when I'm at idle, my A/C and Tach and Headlights are dim, and the more gas I give it, the brighter they get. Could a short in the fuses cause my engine to miss like this? I would appreciate any help as this is my daily driver. Thanks guys,
TREY

• Sponsors (?)

What does it do under WOT?
Is it consistent throughout the RPM, or get worse/better as RPM goes up?

Dim lights at idle is normal to an extent, it could be a bad alternator or voltage regulator if it is a drastic change.

Speaking of WOT,
it doesnt matter how much i accelerate, it'll keep sputtering until it just randomly goes finally after a few seconds.

It is a pretty drastic change in brightness, but if this is normal..are you saying my problem ISNT electrical related?
Thanks
TREY

V_Stud said:
Speaking of WOT,
it doesnt matter how much i accelerate, it'll keep sputtering until it just randomly goes finally after a few seconds.

It is a pretty drastic change in brightness, but if this is normal..are you saying my problem ISNT electrical related?
Thanks
TREY
i am having a problem in the neighborhood of what you are, so i read your thread. for your dimming problem: given the sputtering problems, are you sure your idle has not dropped a little bit? stock idle is ~650 rpm. were it to drop even a little as a result of your car's ailment, that would exacerbate the voltage drop the alternator experiences. the stock tach is not accurate enough to really tell if the idle has dropped (it's really not accurate in increments under 100 rpm, hence the need for a tuning tach when doing mods, setting idle, etc). you could always adjust the idle up a little (and readjust the tps once you are done, as you will have jacked the "at rest" voltage of the tps). what idle are you at (roughly)? a fair number of folks run ~1K rpm at idle.

good luck.

Its an '88 5.0 LX(with a 1986 motor in it)

HISSIN-I'm idling around 1k rpm, but i think my TPS may be bad b/c when i start the car, it lopes like it has a cam between 850-1200rpm. i do have an aftermarket tach.

Im sure its not bad gas, but i will check the plugs and wires etc..thanks for the help..anymore would be appreciated.
TREY