Engine stalls or idles low

Blacksahara

Jan 29, 2004
I know some of you have had this problem, but haven't found a resolution for it. I have a 2000 GT w/4.6L. When I depress the clutch and put in N the engine RPM's drop very low and sometimes stall.

Will getting an aftermarket performance chip (JET), or reprogramming with a performance program (Superchip??) fix the problem? I'd prefer to spend my money doing this rather than pay the dealer to reprogram. What other options do I have?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

mine is doing the same exact thing...
I have been told to purchase a new IAC (Idle Air Controller). The reason i haven't got mine yet is because a new IAC from ford will run you about $95.00, that is unless you get it off ebay. Every light i roll up to, even if it is in 1st gear and at the very last minute put in the clutch, it feels as if ithe engine will stall :nonono: ....im having the same symtoms as you. :mad:

I had those very same symptoms 2 days ago. I posted them in another thread. If you want I'll post the link here. My fix came by plugging up a sensor coming out of the front of my upper Intake Plenum.

Downsouthman1, No I don't have any other mods. I think I saw your other post....Purchased a copper cap and drilled a 9/16" hole, correct?

Do you think the chip will help?

I wish Ford would issue a TSB on this :bang:

downsouthman1 said:
I had those very same symptoms 2 days ago. I posted them in another thread. If you want I'll post the link here. My fix came by plugging up a sensor coming out of the front of my upper Intake Plenum.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post them pics!!! :D

It will make me so happy to finally let go of the clutch and not worry about stalling out....some people laugh at me while at a red light because they think i don't know how to drive a stick. :rlaugh:

stang09er said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post them pics!!! :D

It will make me so happy to finally let go of the clutch and not worry about stalling out....some people laugh at me while at a red light because they think i don't know how to drive a stick. :rlaugh:
I don't have any pics. It's the link to a thread I posted. All I did to fix my idle problem was plug up a sensor extruding from the front of the upper Intake Plenum that I forgot to hook up after replacing the plenum.

My 96 Cobra is doing the exact same thing. I just replaced the IAC, to the tune of $60 from NAPA, but it didn't correct the problem. Everything else under the hood seems in order and the engine runs fine otherwise. I'm thinking that it might be the throttle position switch? Thoughts anyone?

It's been a while since I last posted on this topic but I think I came to a resolution. After I replaced my thermostat the problem has gone away. I had the problem before a temp. problem, it started running cool, replaced the thermostat with a OE one and all seems well.