Ever have your CAI fall off? How did the car act?

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
Just curious to see if anybody has ever had the filter on their "inside the fender" "CAI" fall off.....if so, how did your car react?

When I first bought my car, it had some cheap CAI on it, I replaced it with a "Densecharger" pipe (Home Depot PVC pipe) intake because he was throwing it away. Anyway, my car started bucking, hesitating, and having some misfire issues recently. I found a few things wrong, which I fixed...and it still hasn't cleaned up the issue completely. The last issue I found was that the filter fell off inside the fender. I haven't been driving it because I haven't had the chance to go find a stock airbox/inlet pipe at the boneyard....hopefully tomorrow. Or at the very least, slap another K&N style cone on the end again...just to get it driveable.

I was hoping THAT is my issue, too much air/turbulence in the intake pipe. Just wondered if anybody else ever had the same problem.

• Sponsors (?)

i dont see how losing the filter would affect much... however i was out testing my car yesterday and the upper pipe that connects to the throttle body flew off the car... the car started choking to death and shut off

I have had the pipe from the MAF to the TB fall off a few times. On my 89 it happened on the street and I didn't pull over and check I just drove it the 15 miles or so to a friends house. Got there and it was laying on the header. The car ran awful, stumbling, stalling low RPM idle if and when it idled. Figured out the issues and its fixed now.

My brothers 86s I had the intake tube come off in the burnout box before every track pass last time out. The car idled low and stumbled some, but didnt stall. It ran a little slower down the track (12.3 @ 107-108 when it should have been in the 20s or teens tht day at 109-110). The reason was a busted motor mount and the engine would torque over and yank the tube out of the TB sleeve.

Yea, mine never stalled....just had slight hesitations during acceleration....at times the idle would fall like it might stall, but never really dropped below 500rpm.

I'm hoping this is my issue, I don't want to put the filter on and have nothing change. I fixed a vac leak and a dizzy gear problem, and it started running better.