Explorer / GT40 Heads & Intake ???

Fenix50

Dec 7, 2007
Explorer / GT40 U/L Intake ???

Hey everyone,

I know that this topic has probably been covered before and I have researched a ton of old threads on this but I can not seem to find the answers. I have an opportunity to get a set of GT40P heads and Intake off of a 98 Explorer for a good price. I am looking to ‘freshen’ up my mostly stock 92 GT but do not want to spend $2000 doing it.

1st question – What modifications will be needed to the Upper and Lower intake to get this ’98 explorer gear to work on my Fox? Are the mods difficult, am I better off finding something else, maybe different year or different intake all together to get a bolt on application?

2nd question – Will running the GT40P heads be a problem with my set up? I read that I would have to swap my headers due to the spark plug angle which is not really a big deal for what I am getting but what else am I missing? Is it worth spending the money and sending the heads to a machine shop for cleaning and maybe a port match now or should I look at getting a new set of springs and call it a day?

Lastly, is it worth all the time, effort, aggrevation and money or should I wait until I really want to do a complete overhaul?

I would really appreciate any info / links to any threads or sites that might have specific information on the swap.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

1. I'm not totally sure but I believe you may have to drill and tap for the coolant sensor.

2. The P heads will bolt right up, but they may not have the ports for the smog tubes on the back of the heads. My GT-40's didn't.

Personally I'd do the whole engine at once. It's so much nicer to do it all on an engine stand as opposed to leaning over the engine bay. Also, you may as well get a good cam to match the heads while you are at it. I definitely recommend getting the heads ported - you will be very happy with the power they make.

if the smog police are a problem, you need to find an intake off a 96 Explorer to come closest to a true "bolt on". The ACT and EGR coolant lines will need to be drilled and tapped but that is not hard.