Extended Shackles - Where to get them?

u0061914

Aug 20, 2009
Prior Lake, MN
OK, I do not want to turn this thread into another debate about springs vs. Shackles vs air shocks.

I'm wondering where I can get a set of extended shackles for my 67? I need about 1" higher in the rear. Already replaced front and rear springs. I'm getting the car ready to sell and I want to do this as cheap as absolutely possible, so I just want a quick simple solution.

Also how long of extended shackles to gain about 1-1.5"?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks,

I'm not at home right now to measure. Do I need the 1/2" or 7/16" ones?

IF I was keeping the car, I would approach this in a completely different way, but the car is being sold, very soon. I need the cheapest quickest solution.
If the next owner wants to change it, he can spend the time and money on doing so.

Strictly for curb appeal. If someone comes and looks at the car and it is sitting nose up, they might pass on the car or try to use this as a bargaining point. Again, quick, cheap and yes kinda cheesy fix.

If for some reason I keep the car, I will cut the front springs down a bit.

I made my own out of 5/16 thick plates of steel and drilled the holes, and bought grade 8 bolts.. dont think I spent more than 20 dollars.

A 1 inch increase in the distance between the holes on the shackles barely gives a half inch at the centerline of the wheel.

I would shy away from a car with the extended shackles...........they all seemed to sit nose high from the factory.

Don't make me post a bunch of Ford photos showing they were level when new. The problem was the leaf springs, particularly the 6 cylinder and standard V8 tended to sag when the cars were only 2-3 years old.

64WF-3.jpg

OK, Geez you guys are persitent :lol:

I pulled the coils out tonight and cut about 1/2 a coil out of each side. The net gain was about 1 1/4" drop in the front. It now still sits a bit nose high, but not like it was before. I put a new set of coils in the front last week and it was WAY too high. Like 3+ inches! I can live with it now. If I do decide to keep the car ( never know, I might), it will raise the rear a bit, the correct way. I suspect the coils will sag a bit after some road time on them anyway.

As always, I appreciate the help. Now I need to tackle the fuel issue. It ran fine last fall, but run sporadically now I'm guessing I need to pull the carb apart and clean it. Not surprising I guess, seems like very engine with a carb I own has the same issue. I'll save that for another thread though.:nice: