F- CAM Questions !!!

lx2c6

Apr 6, 2005
Im about to drop a fresh motor (302 balanced blueprinted , forged pistons
etc of goodies i was wondering about the the infamous F cam , i was wondering what is the idle like with this cam ? and is low rpm driving (parking lots , slow driving etc ) affected any bucking jerking concerns ? that anyone has encounterd with this cam ? any help much appreciated
i havent ordered the cam yet but i wanted to get some input b4 i do thanks again .

• Sponsors (?)

Im running the F and did have bucking at low rpm`s,had a chip burned for it and dont have any drivability issues anymore.Cant get it to idle below 900 or it will surge,kinda doggy down low but it pulls very good mid and upper rpm`s

Used my Fcam with on a carb. setup and rpm heads. Went 12.6@106 on 7cylinders. kifter on number6 cylinder wouldn't prime up on the intake side not letting any air into that cylinder. Idled at 850 and no bucking or jerking. Drove smooth

Same deal here F cam with holley carb. The carbed engines seem to do alot better with the f cam the the FI cars.

I do get alittle bucking when I let the car pull at a low idle in first.

The F cam IMHO makes the best idle sound. With 273 gears it was as said above alittle doggy on the jump but above 2500 or so it becomes a real monster.
When I did a gear change it made a big difference.
I only noticed the bucking due to my driveway being over a mile long and having to go slow up it usally 5mph
The bucking goes away soon as u feed her alittle more go juice.

DAMN that sucks cuz i really wanted the cam for the idle and power but if slow parking lot driving is goin to be sacraficed then im not sure , thanks for the input guys !

lx2c6 said:
DAMN that sucks cuz i really wanted the cam for the idle and power but if slow parking lot driving is goin to be sacraficed then im not sure , thanks for the input guys !

Slow parking lot driving? Man i don't mean to dog on ya, but you would buy a cam for sound and "slow parkinglot driving"? Like i said, no insult intended, but if you get yourself a nice gear like a 3.73 or 4.10, you're going to cruise parking lots at around 1500 anyway. I've got plenty friends with F cams and one friend with an X, and none of them have any real drivability problems at low speeds. It's all in the tune that makes the drivability problems a less of a neusense. The only car i've ever driven that wouldnt cruise that slow had over a 600 lift cam, but with a glide and 4.56 gears, it wasnt worth a damn on the road anyways :nice:

well my post sounded a lil wrong in the sense of me wanting to drive slow but i do plan on driving it alot and i dont want to be bucking and jerking looking for a spot to park . i do have 3.73's in the rear . and of course all of us want the infamous sick ass lope at idle . the reason i ask the question in the first place is that my buddy got a cam with very similar specs as the F (actually i think company just threw a f cam in there box and called it custom , thats how close the #'s are and hes got some problems with parkiing lot driving (im not sayin its directly related to the cam but just a thought , ive also heard a few others talk about the F cam parking lot issues so i was just wondering , thanks for the reply

I would strongly suggest a trick flow stage 1. I run the Stage 1 and love the way it sounds at idle and its performance. A buddy of mine has the f-cam in his '83. It idles "okay", but is more of a top end cam. It does have that killer sounding idle we all like (potato...potato...potato..).

If everything is tuned correctly, I don't care what off the shelf street cam you are running it shouldn't be jerky. My B303 is not jerky at all...unless the IAC is acting up (note to self...gotta clean that out) but otherwise it's fine.

If you like it buy it. Just make sure everything is tuned and adjusted correctly, which you should be doing anyway.

tjm73 said:
If everything is tuned correctly, I don't care what off the shelf street cam you are running it shouldn't be jerky. My B303 is not jerky at all...unless the IAC is acting up (note to self...gotta clean that out) but otherwise it's fine.

If you like it buy it. Just make sure everything is tuned and adjusted correctly, which you should be doing anyway.
:stupid: if it's tuned right you shouldn't have any problems with it.. mine idles like a rock, and driving around town and off idle is no problem at all.. it definatly wasn't designed to make gobbes of torque, but it certainly makes up for it from 3k all the way past 6200.. but like what was said before, spend the extra money and get it dyno tuned.. it'll make more power, and have alot more streetability