Factory Build Time

03BlackGT

Jun 8, 2003
I just ordered my new black on black GT which will be replacing my '03 this past Tuesday, and it will be a factory order. My dealer told me that Ford has recently implemented a new process where they try and get them built within 3 weeks. I'm not sure that'll actually happen.

Just wondering what you guys have experienced for wait times if you had a 2010 factory order?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

lets see, I signed the paperwork to order the car on July 31st(friday), they said they'd get the order in right away, so Monday went by and they didn't get it in-then they put it in Tuesday-August 4th.

I was told 6-8 weeks. I still don't have a VIN# on the car but I called today and they said they should have it next Friday. Its not the most enjoyable process waiting.

How long did they tell you?

it may be 4 to 6 weeks to build but then it's still another 2 to 3 to be delivered so be prepared to be patient. I put my order in before the cars were being build so I really had to wait but it was well worth it once I got behind the wheel :nice:

I talked to a dealer last year and he told me that it would take 5 weeks-

2010 Mustang GT Deluxe

Kona Blue
Track Pack (w/3.73s)
5-Speed
Dark Charcoal Interior
Upgraded 5-spoke Wheels
Racing Stripe

The Track Pack can't be had off the showroom floor on a Deluxe GT. It's only available on the Premium GTs, so I'd have to factory-order. That's cool, though, because I'll get exactly what I want, and nothing I don't. :nice:

lets see, I signed the paperwork to order the car on July 31st(friday), they said they'd get the order in right away, so Monday went by and they didn't get it in-then they put it in Tuesday-August 4th.

I was told 6-8 weeks. I still don't have a VIN# on the car but I called today and they said they should have it next Friday. Its not the most enjoyable process waiting.

How long did they tell you?

Seems like my dealer didn't get any allocation for the next month or so. They basically said that they couldn't really commit to a date however it may be another 8 weeks or so before I see my stang, but no guarantees. Funny that before I put my deposit down, the salesperson was talking about Ford's new 3 week turnaround build time.

There's 2 dealers in my city and mine is the much smaller of the 2, however went with them because I bought from them before.

They gave me the number to the regional rep, and suggest that I call him. Will that really do any good? I'm thinking I should have gone to the bigger dealership that sells more stangs. Am I the only one to think that this allocation system is really messed up and unfair to the customer especially now with the state of the auto sector and economy?!

Seems like my dealer didn't get any allocation for the next month or so. They basically said that they couldn't really commit to a date however it may be another 8 weeks or so before I see my stang, but no guarantees. Funny that before I put my deposit down, the salesperson was talking about Ford's new 3 week turnaround build time.

There's 2 dealers in my city and mine is the much smaller of the 2, however went with them because I bought from them before.

They gave me the number to the regional rep, and suggest that I call him. Will that really do any good? I'm thinking I should have gone to the bigger dealership that sells more stangs. Am I the only one to think that this allocation system is really messed up and unfair to the customer especially now with the state of the auto sector and economy?!

Even if the dealer isn't allocated any Stangs, you still put an order in for one, so yours will show up.

As for there being a 3-week turn-around to "custom build" one, I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

The good thing is because of this, maybe there will be a better promotion than the current one going on, and if not, you may be able to fight to get the better of the two.

Yeah, waiting for a new car sucks. I hate waiting for things I'm excited about. I waited 2 months to get the body/neck of my custom guitar that I'm in the process of piecing together. It drove me nuts.

Even if the dealer isn't allocated any Stangs, you still put an order in for one, so yours will show up.

As for there being a 3-week turn-around to "custom build" one, I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

The good thing is because of this, maybe there will be a better promotion than the current one going on, and if not, you may be able to fight to get the better of the two.

Yeah, waiting for a new car sucks. I hate waiting for things I'm excited about. I waited 2 months to get the body/neck of my custom guitar that I'm in the process of piecing together. It drove me nuts.

I've done a lot of reading and am still trying to fully understand the concept of allocation. How long can the dealer realistically not get any allocation for? I assume that until they get allocation, mine won't get built.

On another note, found out that after employee pricing ends on Monday, they will be introducing 0% financing and X-plan pricing, which does work out to be a better deal than A-plan and ~7% financing. I'm still wondering if I'd be better off cancelling this order and going to a higher volume dealer, which may get allocation sooner, although my dealer claims that the US is getting the majority of allocation, so it may not make a difference. :shrug:

O3blackgt,

Is the deposit you put down refundable? Because WOW! Another 8 weeks really would be ridiculous esp as you entered the contract to buy the car based on the premise it would be there in 6-8 weeks. You wouldn't get your car until November and you'd have a total wait time of 4months which is a waste of your time. There has to be someone you can talk to.

And I agree,in the economy we are in Ford should be looking to fill customers orders as quick as possible-simple supply and demand however, it doesn't feel like this is the case.

I've done a lot of reading and am still trying to fully understand the concept of allocation. How long can the dealer realistically not get any allocation for? I assume that until they get allocation, mine won't get built.

On another note, found out that after employee pricing ends on Monday, they will be introducing 0% financing and X-plan pricing, which does work out to be a better deal than A-plan and ~7% financing. I'm still wondering if I'd be better off cancelling this order and going to a higher volume dealer, which may get allocation sooner, although my dealer claims that the US is getting the majority of allocation, so it may not make a difference. :shrug:

There's really no way to pinpoint how long it will take before a dealer gets a batch of a particular model delivered.

The high-volume dealerships are going to get served first. When it comes to putting a factory order through, it wouldn't matter where you purchased the car, because that's not going to change your "list status." Ford isn't going to say, "Okay, this guy bought from Dealership X, so he's getting his vehicle first." It's going to go by the order in which your order was received.

Keep in mind that your ordered car is "custom." When a model is allocated to a dealer, what happens is the dealer contacts Ford and says, "Okay, I want X amount of Mustangs with these options." If you get two dealerships that put through an order for 5 Mustangs each with the same options, the high-volume dealer is going to receive their order first because there is a better chance of them selling the vehicles.