Digital Tuning FAST efi frustration.

Hotrodbuilder

Sep 20, 2015
I am beyond frustration with a 5.0 with Vortech supercharger and tall port aluminum heads. I bought and installed FAST efi. The troubles began immediately. FAST will no longer respond to my problems. My issues have been ongoing for 10 years. The original problem was no start. I finally discovered that a harness from the computer to the engine had been assembled with one connector upside down. That resulted in many wires going to and from the wrong circuits. After I got anothef used FAST system online, I got it running, but not tuned. It would run enough to move it around. Last week it died and won't restart. I discovered that the fuel pump did not run when key turned on. Also the injectors not operating. When I connect my laptop to the FAST ecu, the computer says no ecu detected. The blue light on the ecu is blinking.It is supposed to remain on and not blinking. When I crank the starter, the individual cylinders are supposed to light on the ecu. They do not light. Can anyone help me? FAST refuses to help.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you buy it new or used?
I ran a Fast XFI for several years but recently switched to a Holley Dominator because I had an issue with mine (quit data-logging) and there seemed to be little to no support left. Plus the platform was static, no new features or innovation forthcoming.

Do you still possess the installation instructions?

If it were me, I would start by pulling the unit and sending it in to get it checked out, if that's possible.
I would then go through [all] of the wiring, one-by-one until I was 100% certain that it was correct.

What I would not do is feed it any more ECUs until the wiring is straightened out.

Do you still possess the installation instructions?

If it were me, I would start by pulling the unit and sending it in to get it checked out, if that's possible.
I would then go through [all] of the wiring, one-by-one until I was 100% certain that it was correct.

What I would not do is feed it any more ECUs until the wiring is straightened out.
Thanks, It was running and hitting on all 8. Not driven, because I was waiting for seats to come back from upholstery shop and did not want to drive it on milk crate. It started fine an idled ok. I could move it in and out of shop to work on other projects. It was sitting idling when it just quit and wouldn't restart. When I hooked up laptop it read "no ecu detected." It is the second FAST ecu. The first one fried due to a reversed wiring connector at the main harness to the engine harness. I have since replaced the harness and ecu it immediately started and ran OK. Now the second ecu has gone out. I could use recommendations for a different system. I have lost confidence in FAST.

Last edited:
Did you buy it new or used?
I ran a Fast XFI for several years but recently switched to a Holley Dominator because I had an issue with mine (quit data-logging) and there seemed to be little to no support left. Plus the platform was static, no new features or innovation forthcoming.
I bought it new from Summit. FAST would not warranty the first ecu because it was fried and not repairable. FAST stopped replying to me when I sent them photos of the harness with the reversed wiring connector. They took the position that it was my fault. I bought a used system on ebay and the ecu that came with it was working fine until it didn't.

I am beyond frustration with a 5.0 with Vortech supercharger and tall port aluminum heads. I bought and installed FAST efi. The troubles began immediately. FAST will no longer respond to my problems. My issues have been ongoing for 10 years. The original problem was no start. I finally discovered that a harness from the computer to the engine had been assembled with one connector upside down. That resulted in many wires going to and from the wrong circuits. After I got anothef used FAST system online, I got it running, but not tuned. It would run enough to move it around. Last week it died and won't restart. I discovered that the fuel pump did not run when key turned on. Also the injectors not operating. When I connect my laptop to the FAST ecu, the computer says no ecu detected. The blue light on the ecu is blinking.It is supposed to remain on and not blinking. When I crank the starter, the individual cylinders are supposed to light on the ecu. They do not light. Can anyone help me? FAST refuses to help.
BTW, FAST never returned my original ecu even though I asked them to send it back.

Thanks for the information. I will contact the referenced suppliers. I will have to determine if I need to completely remove my FAST system or if I can adapt the systems available. All of my current wiring is new, but none of it is original Ford harnesses. I might mention that I am working on this issue in a 1947 Ford coupe with Vortech V3 Supercharger and AOD transmission.

Reactions: 1 user
I might mention that I am working on this issue in a 1947 Ford coupe with Vortech V3 Supercharger and AOD transmission.
Reminds me of the good ole days.... My first car. Bought it when I was fourteen.. When I sold it it had a BBC 396 with a 4 speed in it....
The Studebaker lark vert, behind my coupe, had a 383 SBC in it that ran really well....
DSCF0976.JPG

Thanks for the information. I will contact the referenced suppliers. I will have to determine if I need to completely remove my FAST system or if I can adapt the systems available. All of my current wiring is new, but none of it is original Ford harnesses. I might mention that I am working on this issue in a 1947 Ford coupe with Vortech V3 Supercharger and AOD transmission.
Which Fast system do you have? The XFI 2.0 or something different?

XFI Sportsman. I first bought XFI 2.0 and FAST said that I needed the Sportsman system due to the Vortech supercharger. I might add that I have been really disappointed in any advice or support from FAST. After I discovered the root problem was due to the improperly manufactured wiring harness, FAST stopped responding.