Finally getting windows tinted

bigbird04

Jul 15, 2010
Decatur Al.
So I'm finally getting my windows tinted tomorrow. What would look better on a 04 screaming yellow 35% which is allowed around here or 20% which is not. Or that super badass mirror tint LOL. I think with 35 on the yellow car it would be enough contrast to pop. What do you all think ?

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm finally getting my windows tinted tomorrow. What would look better on a 04 screaming yellow 35% which is allowed around here or 20% which is not. Or that super badass mirror tint LOL. I think with 35 on the yellow car it would be enough contrast to pop. What do you all think ?

35 will look decent, but 20 will be a bigger contrast. What about the 35 legal in the front and then 20 all the way around? If a cop is going to measure a window he will slip his measuring tool over the front windows and take that reading. I have 5% all the way around and it knocks out so much more of the heat vs the 20 that is legal here its not even funny. I never thought it would matter that much but I my car is easliy 10-15 degrees cooler than my last car that had 20 all the way around.

I think mine is 20%. Yes I have had a tint ticket. Took 3 years so I did the numbers and worked out at $1 a week for having it. Was fine with it. lol.
I know its not yellow but you get the idea. AND BUY GOOD TINT NOT CHEAP STUFF! Think mine was 3M Marquis.

Just got mine back 20 % looks great. I feel your pain Tricky, I got one a few years ago in my wife's G6. The state trooper had one of those 2 piece checkers.
I think he was riding around looking for someone to try out his new toy on. I've had tinted windows on everything since 2000, 11 years 1 ticket I decided to take the odds on the stang and glad I did. I don't think I would've been happy with 35%.

Yeah I think 20 is what I'll get. Its not so dark it screams, pull me over, but dark enough to make a huge difference. Thanks for the reply.

+1. I've got 20% all around, and I love it for that very reason. Glad you like it, too.

I KNOW that everyone on here is going to flame me for it, but I'd look into tinting the entire windshield 50%. To be honest, I like that more than I like the 20 on the sides. It blocks SO much heat, and reduces headlight glare by a noticeable amount, but you can still see perfectly fine out of it. 50% on the windshield normally brings out the "ZOMG! Windshield tint! That is so illegal" when it's no more illegal than the 20% on the sides....And when paired up with 20% or darker all around, it looks perfectly clear. I have never heard of someone getting a ticket for 50% on the windshield, simply because it isn't that noticeable from the outside.

Just something to think about...

Just got mine back 20 % looks great. I feel your pain Tricky, I got one a few years ago in my wife's G6. The state trooper had one of those 2 piece checkers.
I think he was riding around looking for someone to try out his new toy on. I've had tinted windows on everything since 2000, 11 years 1 ticket I decided to take the odds on the stang and glad I did. I don't think I would've been happy with 35%.

The ticket I got was kinda weird really. I am bombing down the freeway and a cop heading in the other direction threw on his lights, jumped over the embankment and chased me down. I was doing 60 in a 55 so that wasn't the problem and I was in traffic also.

He pulls me over and I got the usual "You know why I pulled you over?" routine.

"Exhaust too loud?" - Nope
"I know I wasn't speeding" - Nope
"Could you please wind your window up Sir."
Instant $150 and he told me not to bother fixing it either. So as I pulled away I gunned it.

AND HERE IS SOME FLAME FOR 50% FOR THE FRONT!!!!!! :nono:

Its illegal for just about any tint in NYS.

Just ripping on you because you expected it. Whatever works for you buddy! Its no more illegal than the 20% on sides.

Did I mention I backed out of a friends house I had never been to into an unlit road and ended up 6' down a drainage channel backwards at a 45 degree with my headlights illuminating the tops of the trees. Dang 20%! Laughed my butt off.

Its illegal for just about any tint in NYS.

Just ripping on you because you expected it. Whatever works for you buddy! Its no more illegal than the 20% on sides.

Did I mention I backed out of a friends house I had never been to into an unlit road and ended up 6' down a drainage channel backwards at a 45 degree with my headlights illuminating the tops of the trees. Dang 20%! Laughed my butt off.

Oh ok, I gotcha. I couldn't tell if you were being serious or not. It's all good! :nice:

35% on the driver and passenger windows, 20% on the rears and back glass

67199_1415461626318_1225890076_30954606_7446763_n.jpg

I'm leaning towards the 35%. The 20% does look awesome in the daylight, but can make driving a little difficult at night. In Vegas, though it's even illegal here, police really don't bother you about it because of the extreme heat; but where I lived in NY, they'd nail you every chance they got. However, since tinting is a perma-temp upgrade, I'm not inclined to subject myself to someone's random discretion. :shrug:

Any one pulled over in the south for 50% on windshield . Me and a friend got pulled over in his rx4 ( kinda looks like a maverick ) one time cause they thought his Mazda logo on his windshield was too low, or as he said they wanted to check his car out, anyway they took all our smokes and let us go we were like sixteen .

I'm still debating between 20% and 30%. My interior is the light grey, and I'm told that it makes the tint appear lighter, which would be beneficial if I go with 20%.

Also, being cheap, I'd like to try doing this myself to save money since all the shops around here want $200+. Anyone know any good brands or techniques for DIY?