Finally own an S197

jstanger89

May 27, 2004
NE PA
I finally did it. Just bought a 05 GT Black with Red leather 5sp. 2000 miles. Car feels great, but like everyone else on here, just want it faster. So I've been reading all these threads about exhaust and intakes and my heads spinning. From what i remember reading a couple years ago and what i've read on this forum, I'm definitely going with JLT and SCT tuner. I've dealt with CJ pony parts out of hershey for years. Has anyone bought the CAI/tuner kit from them. i.e. where do they get their tunes from or are they just generic. they list it for right around $550 for the kit. Is that high or just about right. When i go to brenspeed's site my browser loads the page goofy and i cant navigate it to see prices. any advice appreciated. i've also thought about doing the free gas pedal mod but the more i think about it, the more it scares me.

• Sponsors (?)

feels a little different than previous mustangs doesn't it?? :o) axle backs will give no power but make these 3V's sound amazing. just the tuner alone makes the huge difference but the CAI and tuner combo plus a custom tune makes it a totally different car! i went with diablo and had doug at bama chips write my tunes which a lot of others on here have done as well, but i'm sure equally as many have went with sct and brenspeed. everyone talks very highly of both so i doubt you can go wrong either way. congrats on your new purchase

If you are going to stay N/A I would get this stuff in this order. Everybody has their own preference, but this is how I would do it.

• CAI/Tuner (SCT, preferably)
  • Axle Back of your choice
  • Off Road mid pipe (if legal, if not, high flow catted mid pipe)
  • LONG TUBE Headers (shorty headers are worthless. Good ONLY if you go with a turbo and even then it's debatable)
  • CMCV delete plates

If you do plan on getting long tube headers, I would get a tune from bamachips/brenspeed that has that accounted for when you buy your CAI (so get a 87 tune, 93 tune, and 93 tune w/ Long Tube/CMCV delete accounted for)

That is as far as performance parts. As far as cosmetic, I would firstly get wheels/tires. After that, and I mean about 20 seconds after that, I would buy lowering springs. Pro Kit or Sportline. I have the sportline w/ 28" tall tires (stock is 27") and it fits absolutely perfect. Not slammed but definitely noticeable. I absolutely love the look.