Finally pictures of my oil leak!!

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I've been trying to track this leak down for a while now. It drips down onto the engine shield (i think its called that).

The yellow circle shows where there is an oil drip.

The other yellow circle is showing my oil pan bolt which im not sure is suppose to be leaking like it is. you can see it has oil all around it and on top of it.

Pictures:

editedleakzz2.jpg

here you can see when it actually dripped down.

picture008xn1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

+1 for Mikey1968

I would still check the valve covers and lower intake seal in the back. Run your hand around back there and see if you find anything before going after the RMS.

I use an aluminum washer on the pan bolts and have zero leakage! :nice:

show me a dd fox on the road that the rear main dosn't leak...and the drain plug and gaskets are cheap from a parts store....juts remember our cars have 2 lol

lol, I've owned many 5.0 fox cars, and had friends with tons more, and have never had one with a rear main seal leak. It's just not a common issue.

another vote to start with the valve cover gaskets.

a good way to tell is reach behind the engine from up top and run your hand along the block near the valve covers, and down towards the top of the bell. If you're hand comes back oily, valve covers are the issue.

a rear main seal isn't going to leak unless you have a LOT of miles on the car and have never changed the seal (like a couple hundred thou) or someone nicked the crank on the last rear main install)

I'll stick by it.

I'm sure NONE of them having even a small leak was an exaggeration, however, it's never been an issue. In my experience, all my high mileage fox's always leaked at the valve covers and oil pan.

since all I've owned, and all my friends have owned were 5 speed fox's, the rear main seal is always swapped out on a clutch job, which is every 2-5+ years depending on how you drive, and how much you drive. so, like I said, the rear main is always a non issue, unless you pick up a mustang that's been completely neglected by it's previous owner.