Finish my motor 331.. what cam and intake?

seandig

Founding Member
Oct 29, 2000
I'm in the middle of building a new motor but dont know what intake and cam to use. I have a roller 302 block all the machine work done, 331 eagle stroker kit, H-beam rods, forged probe pistons. It has 10.5:1 compression, edelbrock Victor jr heads, crane 1.6 rockers, hardend pushrods, Long tube 1 7/8 headers. I have a set of 24lbs injectors, 70mm tb, and 75mm mass air meter. If possible i want to still use these items but will replace them if i have too. This is going into a 91 notchback, with a 5 spd, and 3:73 gears. It also will be driven daily (i know the heads are a lil big but its what i have) I want something that is still streetable, and idles fairly good. What cam and intake do i use???? Any help would be appriciated...

• Sponsors (?)

Heads aren't too big at all. How much power are you looking to make? This guy made 445rwhp with his victor jr headed 347. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/YellowFever/index.php

I'd go custom on the cam, with valve springs to match, definatly gonna want more injector (at least 30, 36 ideally) I'd suggest the holley or rpm II for this case, unless you want bigegr power, then i'd go to the victor 5.0 like the guy in my link did. A heavy 95GT running 10's @ 124 n/a, damn thats sweet :cool:

If you think those heads are too big, i'll gladly swap you for my smaller heads :)

I'm looking for about 375-400rwhp. I figured i would need bigger injectors but wasnt sure. I am willing to sacrifice some power for better driveiblity and some low end torque. I've been thinking about the typhoon intake, just because it;s so cheep and pretty much the same as and edelbrock rpm. I can gastket match and clean up the casting myself.

My heads need to have new valve springs since I bought them with intentions of a solid mechanical cam in a 351W. But thats no big deal.. I just dont wanna get stuck buying more than 1 cam since there fairly pricey...

I dont even know where to start to pick the cam for this motor.

You should be able to get that power with an rpm manifold and porting the lower. I'd personally use an rpm II/holley and just throw it on. Not a fan of those chineese intakes.

I would call/email a custom cam designer and talk over the combo/goals with them. I use ed curtis for my cam, but I wouldn't hesitate to talk to hitech motorsports (the cam in the link I posted)

on my 331 I went with the Holly SysteMAX intake and went with a Comp Xtreme Engergy cam 224 232 duration @ 555 565 lift

AFR 185's Heads

car ran a 11.8 @ 116mph N/A ... with lots of room for improvements.... thats on Street E.T's also... I need a taller tire because of my 4:10's I was crossing the line at 6300 RPM...

MY car is a 1988 GT

seandig said:
I've been thinking about the typhoon intake, just because it;s so cheep and pretty much the same as and edelbrock rpm. I can gastket match and clean up the casting myself.

There you go - and you will be compromising those 375-400 RWHP numbers for better driveability.

KDK1988GT said:
on my 331 I went with the Holly SysteMAX intake and went with a Comp Xtreme Engergy cam 224 232 duration @ 555 565 lift

AFR 185's Heads

car ran a 11.8 @ 116mph N/A ... with lots of room for improvements.... thats on Street E.T's also... I need a taller tire because of my 4:10's I was crossing the line at 6300 RPM...

MY car is a 1988 GT
can you give me your engine and car specifications please because i am building 347 i already have 185's, short block(347), 30pound inyectors, 70Tb, your same cam, 75mm maff, T5, 3.73, its going to be N/A. but i cant decide about the intake between TFS TH and RPMII(its very pricey).
what is your shift point?its auto or manual?

seandig said:
I'm in the middle of building a new motor but dont know what intake and cam to use. I have a roller 302 block all the machine work done, 331 eagle stroker kit, H-beam rods, forged probe pistons. It has 10.5:1 compression, edelbrock Victor jr heads, crane 1.6 rockers, hardend pushrods, Long tube 1 7/8 headers. I have a set of 24lbs injectors, 70mm tb, and 75mm mass air meter. If possible i want to still use these items but will replace them if i have too. This is going into a 91 notchback, with a 5 spd, and 3:73 gears. It also will be driven daily (i know the heads are a lil big but its what i have) I want something that is still streetable, and idles fairly good. What cam and intake do i use???? Any help would be appriciated...

i will go with Comp Xtreme Engergy cam XE274HR - 224 232 duration @ 555 565 lift and RPMII or TRACK HEAT!

Keep the Mech roller springs, go with a soild roller custom cam, Vic Jr Spyder EFI manifold, 30# inj unless you have a tuning device then go 36#, 80mm MAF, 75-80mm TB (although the 70mm will work).

You could also use a Holley Systemax Intake, custom cam.

Those headers are a tad big depending how high you want to spin it or if you want to spray it in the future. That can be compesated by the cam grinder.

The cam will be critical....

aleborjas said:
can you give me your engine and car specifications please because i am building 347 i already have 185's, short block(347), 30pound inyectors, 70Tb, your same cam, 75mm maff, T5, 3.73, its going to be N/A. but i cant decide about the intake between TFS TH and RPMII(its very pricey).
what is your shift point?its auto or manual?

Sure I will send u a PM... let me make a list up for ya.... :nice:

Rick 91GT said:
Keep the Mech roller springs, go with a soild roller custom cam, Vic Jr Spyder EFI manifold, 30# inj unless you have a tuning device then go 36#, 80mm MAF, 75-80mm TB (although the 70mm will work).

You could also use a Holley Systemax Intake, custom cam.

Those headers are a tad big depending how high you want to spin it or if you want to spray it in the future. That can be compesated by the cam grinder.

The cam will be critical....

Totally agreed.. Get ahold of Jay Allen for a cust solid roller cam..

Hmmm. Ive been thinking alot about just buying the victor efi intake to match the heads. I know that in the future i'll end up upgrading it so i might as well just buy it now and get it over with. I still dont know about the cam, but i think i'll get a custom one made. I already purchased A new mass air and 30lb injectors.

I was also wondering if i'll need a custom burnt chip for the car or not?? And how much of a daily driver will it actully be with these mods? Any idea on mpg? hp?