First 1/4 mile drag strip!

hookups333

Sep 20, 2005
Jax Florida
Can't wait tomorrow I'm goin to gainesville raceway. I'm goin with a mustang club so we get to have an hour cruise to get the raceway. I'm post tomorrow nite what times i get. I'm hopin for low 14's even though a high 13 would be nice but it is my first time so I will just be learnin.

• Sponsors (?)

have some advice for ya, when u do a burnout dont do a huge one if ur on street radial. it dont help plus a watse of tire. do a smale one, just enough to get the lil pebbles and dirt off and the traction compound on the whole tire.

when u launch do it at about 2-2.2K and dont dump it. let out slowy but not so much to slip the hell out of it.

thats what i do, my times are below. my 60' time isnt that great but the tire had about 1/32 tread left and i have 4:10 so i ciuld really lay into it. have fun at the track!! mine dont open until late march:(

Even if you run 16's - You'll have a blast, it's the best feeling rolling out there, staging up, running the pass, then reflecting on the fact that while you were racing the hundreds/thousands (depending on how big your venue is :) ) of spectators just didn't exist. It was just you, and your car.

When you post your times up, make sure you post all the info on the timeslip, you're 60', 660' details, etc will tell us more than what the ET and trapspeed will.

Hey it was so awesome. Kinda mad i was so close to 13.9's. If i had a little more practice i woulda got it. I had 5 runs and my fastest was 14.103, 60' 2.108, mph 99.73. My slowest was 14.923, 60' 2.357, mph 98.38. If practice my take off and get my 60' down ill get 13's on the tires i have now. But i want to get some kinda drag radials put on some crappy rims or somthin. Maybe next time ill have put my cam in. Oh well tell me what u guys think.

how did it feel? did you get the adreniline shakes? nice times for your first time out. not that you need it yet but if you are going to run stickier tires you may want to get a drive shaft loop for a little added safety.

The 1/4 mile like stated before is a sobering experience... You learn to appriciate what it really takes to go fast. Everybody always dawgs the ricers but when you see one (usually not too many) knock out an 11.x you have to give them some respect same with the cameros...

Glad to hear you had pretty good luck. Your on your way to be really addicted and spending more and more money to satisfy your addiction.

Most people on here, they are just occational users and do it for fun once in awhile, then there are others like me who Really need to be in Rehab. Spending stupid amounts of money to get my fix.

Yeah i have headers, maf, previous owner said superchip, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73's, and o/r h pipe. And i was tryin not to be to hard on the car because i just got it and i wanna figure out how it runs before im too hard on it.

the problem with looking down is your car starts to move side to side. that means you start to drive longer then a 1/4 mile. after all the shortest distance between to dots is a straight line. You want a big light to flash so you dont look down all you look at is a point way down the track so that your car stays going as straight as possible.

86bluecobra said:
well sounds like 13's would be attainable if you pulled to 6000 or 6200. maybe your next mod should be a shift light so you don't shift by ear.

i disagree about the shifting. i doubt there is any power after 5500. when i was at the track on wed i went 104 when i shifted at 5000 and 102 when i shifted at 5500 on a few different runs. just my experiences, do whatever works best for you.