First Dyno numbers for S-Trim

GTWayne

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Took car to "The Dyno Edge" today to make sure we had safe A/F. Only made one pull because we need to lean out the top end and I want to keep the FMU so I need to get some ratio disks for it. Motor was rich and loosing power from 5600 - 6600 (10:1 A/F). Made the numbers on 14 psi. We figure we can pull another 70 rwhp with a flat A/F of 12:1.

Here's the numbers: SAE 410.5 rwhp, 452.9 rwtq.

Not bad for 102000 mile bottom end.

Wayne

• Sponsors (?)

Joes95GT said:
Nice. 14 psi is a little unsafe, but thats your choice. When did those numbers peak? Have any graphs?

Joe

No graphs at present. Numbers peaked early around 4800, that's why we figure we can make much more by leaning out the A/F. As far as boost goes, I guessed at the number to a degree. I was on the other side of the car datalogging with my TweecerRT and was looking at the cowl mounted boost gauge from an angle. So it was probably closer to 11/12 considering I see almost 5 mph error looking at the speedo from pass side for almost the same angular view.
Wayne

Gotcha :nice:. I know next to nothing about tuning a blower, but how much leaner are you going to get when you use a different FMU? I don't think you should get any leaner than a 12:1...right? It's weird that the car was LOSING power after 4800....strange....

Joe

Not planning on going any leaner than 12:1. The Vortech FMU is currently a 4:1 and want to see if they have 3:1 and 2:1 disks. We can do the bottom end w/the Kirban but would like to flatten out the top with the FMU. The run was set w/the boost retard at 1.

Complete mod list is on our web site: http://groups.msn.com/Waynes94GT.

Here's a short mod list: TF TW heads, B303, Cobra intake, MAC UE shorties, cat back, Bassani cat xpipe, ProM80 MAF, BBK70 TB, 38# inj.

Wayne

Man, I sure would not want to put 14# of boost in a stock bottom end.

Are you sure the A/F was right? With 38# and 4:1 disk, I wouldnt expect it to be THAT rich up top if youre already over 400HP.

I would max the boost at 12 PSI, then do your tune based on that.. I dont see if you have the BTM, But your base timing with that boost should not be higher than 9, and you should drive around with the BTM dialed all the way to high(3)

Good luck and keep us posted.
RC

94GTLaserRC said:

Are you sure the A/F was right? With 38# and 4:1 disk, I wouldnt expect it to be THAT rich up top if youre already over 400HP.

I would max the boost at 12 PSI, then do your tune based on that.. I dont see if you have the BTM, But your base timing with that boost should not be higher than 9, and you should drive around with the BTM dialed all the way to high(3)

Good luck and keep us posted.
RC
RC,
You missed my reply earlier in the thread. I was reading the boost gauge from across the car and at an angle. When I talked w/the guys at the dyno and went back to relook, it was 10/11 psi not 14. Its like reading the speedo about 5mph higher from the pass side...
Yep the A/F was btwn 13.6 (start of pull in top gear) to 10.0 when we got out of it at 6500. It hit the 10 mark at 5400 (max power point by the way).
Since I want to retain a safety margin, I'd like to tune w/the FMU so I already ordered a 3:1 disk. I'll go back for more pulls and tuning when that comes in.
Wayne

Torque number, Nice

VibrantRedGT said:
Man that torque number is nice.
Vibe,
You're right and the seat of my pants really loves it. I'm gonna have to get something stickier that these Nitto DRs cause I can light em up any time w/o full throttle. I'm hoping the new MT Drag radials will hold it...those will be my spring present...
Wayne

94GTLaserRC said:
Okay, someone please tell me why this makes sense? I'm not a blower expert, so bear with me. 14 psi is just a number, boost is a byproduct not a measurement of power. Why would 14 psi making 400 rwhp be any less safe than 6 psi making the same rwhp on a different motor with better heads/etc? 400rwhp is well within the abilities of the stock bottom end to handle, provided you don't get crazy with the RPM (i.e. >6000). I know someone locally who ran 15+ psi of turbocharged boost for quite a long tme, the only reason it was so high was because the motor was entirely stock.

Dave

HairyCanary said:
Okay, someone please tell me why this makes sense? I'm not a blower expert, so bear with me. 14 psi is just a number, boost is a byproduct not a measurement of power. Why would 14 psi making 400 rwhp be any less safe than 6 psi making the same rwhp on a different motor with better heads/etc? 400rwhp is well within the abilities of the stock bottom end to handle, provided you don't get crazy with the RPM (i.e. >6000). I know someone locally who ran 15+ psi of turbocharged boost for quite a long tme, the only reason it was so high was because the motor was entirely stock.

Dave

Exactly! The power being produced is all that matters when dependability is concerned.