First impressions of Sniper programmer.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Well it can be a bit intimidating as there is a bit to do to just set yourself up to read/write a tune. It also gives several warnings to not unplug it if it has the red light on #7, it locked up on me on my first attempt and thought I was gonna kill my puter if I unplugged it :rlaugh:
Anyway, once you get past the first bit its really not that hard to use and has alot more controll then the standard SCT or Diablo from the end users standpoint. Lots of stuff to screw up :rlaugh: But at least I was able to tell it I had a 255LPH fuel pump (still not sure why the last owner did that :scratch: ) and it idles better when warm now :nice: I has a strange idle hunt when ice cold but I have only tried it once and it may be a learning curve for it to figure out :shrug:
The SOTP fell is quite notecable. It has to be a 15+ hp gain because the car pulls way better after 2 grand now and runs so quick to 6200 its kinda scarry, fear its gonna bounce off the rev limiter :rlaugh: It also will leave a 10' mark going into second at WOT and thats with the shift pattern set to mild. I tried firm and it was a little too jerky around town and at WOT I was afraid it was gonna break something. It has a race setting to that must be down right brutal on a stock trans :shrug:

Downside: I got it to do an 87 tune and increase the mileage on the Mark VIII but the 93 performance tune is too fun :rlaugh:

Other downside is the "Anti-Theft" light flashes all the time. Pat at Sniper is working on it as apparently 1% of the Lincolns have the trigger in a different spot. So I sent him the tune and hopefully he will have it solved soon. Leave it to me to find the one percent car :rlaugh:

I will do the custom tune and data log the Cobra when I get it back and send the log and tune off and they will write me a custom tune for it and help me get the bugs worked out. So far the customer service has been pretty good.

I will update this thread as I get the Mark VIII tune fixed and tune the Cobra to let you guys know if it performs better then my old school Doablo chip the car has now :nice:

BTW, here is what it looks like: :banana:
Sniperstuff.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

the sniper tuning is straight forward when it comes to using it , have lots of potential , and lots of setting to fiddle with , for the price , don't think you get anything as good really , i had predators/hypertechs/sct and they don't compare , wouldn't recommend anything else after i used it on my car , although Willy@dirtydirtyracing did all the tuning for me , the car gone from feeling all sluggish and heavy after cams install with idle problems into a very healthy and quite car , and id take this opportunity to thank him.

and good buy LaserSVT.

I tried firm and it was a little too jerky around town and at WOT I was afraid it was gonna break something. It has a race setting to that must be down right brutal on a stock trans

i drive all day with the race sitting , i think its pretty awesome setting at wot they just shift fast and nice , you will get used to the firm shifts after a while :D

IDK, if its at the verge of loosing traction (and often does) after it shifts at WOT I dont see any reason to increase it any more :shrug:

IDK, if its at the verge of loosing traction (and often does) after it shifts at WOT I dont see any reason to increase it any more :shrug:

depends on what you drive really and how much power your making , i don't really lose traction shifting into second , new tires and all , well.. maybe when its bit chilly outside and the pavement is new (soft like most streets in here) :D

Nice to see others are turning to sniper. I have been running it for over a year on my car and absolutley love it. The progam does have its little glitches especially with the recon (data log) but they are easily fixable and snipers customer service is second to NONE.

I'll be interested in seeing your results with the 03 Bill. Just make sure you have good wideband and have the ground offset correct before trying to tune it.

Too bad you didn't have an Xcal and wideband, I could do a tune for you and probably teach you a thing or two on what these cars like and dislike. :nice:

I am getting very proficient with the SCT PRP. :)

I'll be interested in seeing your results with the 03 Bill. Just make sure you have good wideband and have the ground offset correct before trying to tune it.

Too bad you didn't have an Xcal and wideband, I could do a tune for you and probably teach you a thing or two on what these cars like and dislike. :nice:

Thanks Kevin and you can still give me pointers :rlaugh:
I will be getting a wide band as soon as the HREs sell :nice:

And whats a ground offset?

Also, for my Mark VIII. In the tune I can lock up the torque convertor in 3rd. Any benifits/dissavantages for a DD if I did that?

ground offset is for datalogging the wideband with the SCT software , the sct tuners have an input to datalog the air/fuel with the other parameters at the same time and you have to set the ground offset in order to get it to work correctly ....unfortunately the Sniper interfaces at this time dont have the air/fuel input yet .......so nothing you need to worry about .....

As far as the shifting , I can set it between mild and firm for you , and even change it so it will shift softer at part throttle and harder at WOT if you want .......email me the tunes and I can do some work on it for you to get a little extra HP from it as well

anybody looking to get Sniper hit me up , Dirty Dirty Racing - Ford GM Dodge Tuning

Thanks
Willie

Yep, seems to work just fine AND the Anti-Theft light is now off :hail2: :banana: Shifts feel great except 1-2 happens 200 rpm too late now but that may just be cause I only let the engine hit running temp and the trans was still a bit cold. After doing a drive to work tomorrow I should have a better idea :nice:

Yep, seems to work just fine AND the Anti-Theft light is now off :hail2: :banana: Shifts feel great except 1-2 happens 200 rpm too late now but that may just be cause I only let the engine hit running temp and the trans was still a bit cold. After doing a drive to work tomorrow I should have a better idea :nice:

I can adjust the shift points around after we get the pressure where you like it , just email me after you drive it more tomorrow , I changed some of the part throttle shift points too , hopefully it will feel lighter on its feet / tires LOL ........

Cool! I didnt know you were a pro racer as well :nice:

I still have the program, but I only have the computer code for my old GT. I decided to have James @ RWTD tune the cobra....and holy cow he did explain alot of what he was doing and it freegin blew me away. Alot of it even went over my head...and I am def no noob. He gets super deep into the tune and makes it truely right....but the only way to find these tuning techniques out is to join a forum where they all talk...its $100 a year or something I think. :(

ANYWAYS congrats laser!!!!!!!!! Have fun with it....and like sleeper said, when is it going to be the cobras turn?????

Well after running a few tanks of gas and getting on it alot as the new found power is nice :rlaugh: I have found 1.7 more MPG :banana: This software kicks ass! :rock: