Fitting power brakes to 68

Hi all,

I'm new to this board, i've been viewing it for a while, but this is my first post.

i have a 1968 GT fastback with a 302 that i bought 3 months ago.

I wish ti fit power brakes to the car and was wondering what parts i need to buy?

It has disks at the from and drums at the rear. I'm fairly handy but no mechanic so i wont be doing the work my self so laymans talk would be appreciated. Would a remote servo do the trick? What parts do i need for this?

Thanks in advance, this is just the first of many questions i have for you guys.

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience, if your car has discs already, you should have plenty of stopping power. Power brakes won't stop the car any better but less pedal effort will be required. If your brakes are in poor condition, there is little to be gained until you address those problems.

Brian68GT said:
Hi all,

I'm new to this board, i've been viewing it for a while, but this is my first post.

i have a 1968 GT fastback with a 302 that i bought 3 months ago.

I wish ti fit power brakes to the car and was wondering what parts i need to buy?

It has disks at the from and drums at the rear. I'm fairly handy but no mechanic so i wont be doing the work my self so laymans talk would be appreciated. Would a remote servo do the trick? What parts do i need for this?

Thanks in advance, this is just the first of many questions i have for you guys.

Brian

You'll need a power brake booster for a 68-70 and a power brake pedal for a 68 (possibly a 67 would work also?). The power brake pedal is longer and mounts in a different pivot in the hanger under the dash. From there you'll need to make or buy a couple of new brake lines to go from the master to the proportioning valve.

68Restoman

68GEETEE said:
try www.mpbrakes.com and call their tech line. They were helpful when I called them regarding braking concerns.

BTW, I didnt know Ford made manual disc brakes in '68. Did someone start a conversion on the car and not finish it?

I'm no mustang expert but i was under the impression ALL 68 GT's came with front disks. Not sure if all front disks were also power. Maybe they used to be power and were converted to manual. The buck code makes no reference to power brakes, so i dont know.

I havnt driven it in a few weeks but i have it out today and the brakes, in all fairness, are very good, i may be getting a little bit anal.

Brian

I'd agree. If the brakes aren't what you want, makes sure that they are in good condition before you convert to PB. A sticking front caliper or a bad rear wheel cylinder, worn drums/discs, bad springs or adjusters, etc. will detract from the qualities of ANY system, power or not.