"Flex a Lite" Fan....Good or Bad?

two_stangs

Jan 3, 2004
AZ
I am looking for some feedback.

I have heard that Electric fans do not cool as well as Stock or Flex a lite Fan. That for a modified Mustang that using the stock clutch type or the flex a lite replacement fan is the best.

Is this true?

Is the Flex a lite fans good or should I stay stock?

• Sponsors (?)

You're gonna get all kinds of opinions on the Flexalite - some like 'em, some hate 'em. However, your comments about the electric are inaccurate. PROPERLY SIZED AND CONTROLLED, electric fans cool just as well as a belt driven fan. And they do it while consuming MUCH less power from the engine. When people have problems with electrics it's almost always because an inexpensive fan has been bought that's not sized to move enough air to meet the engine's demand. With the advent of front wheel drive and transverse mounted engines, electric fans became the cooling fan of choice -- literally hundreds of millions of them have been used over the last 30 years. There are very few vehicles that come with belt driven fans anymore - why? Because the electric is a better solution. If you're looking to free up some power, the electric is much better solution than any of the belt driven clutched or flex options. But you've got to size it, install it and control it properly. So, if you can't spend your money to do that, then I'd suggest sticking with your belt driven clutched fan.

My flexalite fan worked great until I put my new motor in. Now I think its time for a bigger electric fan cause it doesnt seem to keep the motor at 180 degrees at idle anymore like it could before. Other then that if you have a mostly bolt-on car with a decent radiator I highly recommend it cause it really works great.

I've got a flexalite blackmagic electric fan on mine, and it works great. Previously I had no switch installed, so the fan was on whenever the engine was running (instead of cutting off when its at the right temp) and it'd never get past the bottom line of temp gauge lol... Now that I have the switch installed it hangs right around 1/4 of the way up, great fan in my opinion. Not to mention the free horses you get when switching from a belt driven fan.

cardudeusa said:
If theres nothing wrong with your stock fan, I wouldn't switch to a flex a light fan. I have the Proform electric fan it works great, no cooling problems. Its basicly the same as the black magic but a lot cheaper!

Is the ProForm Fan thats 15" The right size.

Jegs has one for $100 less than the Black Magic and it has the same specs.

Is that a good fan?

I will be installing a 160 amp alternator from a PA-Performance Alternator. And an Optima Battery so I don't think I will run into Power problems.

i was gonna get a flex fan but a buddy of mine had one on his car and he hit it with something one day will working on the car and threw it off balance and one day when he was at the track he revved it up and the thing snapped off and cut his belt, ripped open his radiator and ripped through his brand new fiberglass hood. ill never own one, but im thinkin about an electric