? for any FORD techs

BOSS4.6L

Apr 10, 2005
Montana/Arizona
I have posted about this before and got nowhere, but today the check ENG LIGHT reared its ugly head again for an "Fuel FTE read ERR". Unfortunately the local Checkers OBD II reader only goes up to 2003 vehicles and I Know for a fact The dealer will want the car for more that and hour to scan it. This is the second time, the first being about a Month 1/2 ago. I think that some how water might be affecting the electrical component that is tripping this eng light, i think this only because I had just finished washing my car when it tripped. So the big question is, What the @#$% does "FTE" stand for and is this a serious problem or not. :shrug:

P.S. The Dealer doesnt seem to care about taking care of my problem and its starting to piss me off. :bang: :chair: Its asif they think its conveinent for me to just leave my car with them, SORRY! but I work for a living and I just about never get a day off except for government holidays.

• Sponsors (?)

is the message you are talking about coming up on the message center? do you have the code from the first time that you visited the dealer?what made the lite go off the first time?I haven't seen this message before too many modules to keep up on,hopefully I can shed some lite on this and get we can get this resolved.

Thanks! The first time it happened was when I was driving back from Montana and I had just filled up with gas the day prior. I heard the beep, looked at the message center and it said "Fuel read FTE ERROR", than I looked at the gas gauge and it had went from full to empty. I hit the message center rest button and the message cleared out but then it came back again, so I reset it again and it stayed off and the gas gauge went back to full, but this event triggered the check eng light. Needless to say I had only two days to get from Montana to Pheonix Az and i had no time to stop at a dealer to have them clear it. I checked the forums and someoneelse had the same problem but said it was just a minor thing and it would not hurt the car to drive it. When I got to AZ I called my dealer up they said that I would have to drop off my car cause they were too backed up with other cars and trucks. I work in the Airforce and it is a B@#$% to get time off, so after about 5 days with the check eng light still on it finally reset itself. All this happened in the first week of July. So the only thing different this time is that I washed my car and it came up right after I finished drying it and started it up to get the ac working.

Tomarrow I am going to call up my dealer and see if they can get it in for Wed, hopefully it will only take a minute for them to scan it and then their techs can try to trouble shoot the cause. I hope they can figure it all out in about 4 hours cause I will need to get to work around 1200. This kinda crap should not be happening to a new car with only 7000 miles on it. :fuss:

I have heard of other fuel guage concerns as you described,guage going to empty @ full w/message warning.If dealer hasn't seen this before they sould be able to call tech hotline,yours is'nt the only one.As with all new vehicles there are going to be concerns some serious some not.since the invention=(if it's got tits or wheels it's bound to give you problems sooner or later)Good luck on your repair,have fun with your ride,they are a real head turner and a hoot to drive!!!

Well, today I was suposed to go to the dealer and have them download the trouble code but the check eng light reset its self last night. So now I am going to have to wait until it trips the light again and try to get it in before it resets. Anyways if any body else has this problem try to get your car into the dealer within three days of the event.