For those of you in the snow belt, what's your winter beater? *PICS*

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
Westland, MI
A few weeks ago, I traded my 1981 Bronco mud bogger for a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I needed something good in the snow, and the Bronco was garbage to drive on anything other than mud, due to the 44" tires. I've been slowly fixing up the Cherokee to 'my standards', and here's where we are at with it today. So far, I've installed a bastardized 4.5"ish lift, some 31" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws and American Racing rims, exhaust, all needed maintenance has been taken care of, and I threw in a decent system. I have a brush guard and roof rack on the way, and some lights are in the plans. I ended up ripping off the ding guards, and plan on getting the painted to match bumper end caps and front bumper underfairing. The only rust that was on the truck was the driver's door bottom corner, where the previous owner has sanded, bondo'd, and primed already. It should be pretty fun in the snow. Today was a decent enough day to wash the Heep and the 'stang, so I figured I might as well take a few shots afterward.

I'd like to end this post with some decent cheap digital camera shots, but I have to mention the crappy event that happened at the pay 'n spray. As I was finishing up cleaning the car, I was spraying the hood down on rinse to get the last few seconds worth out of my quarters. I sprayed down near the nose of the hood just above the grille, when a HUGE piece of my paint just floats away. I didn't take any gory detail shots of the damage, but it's definitely visible in the pictures. Looks like it's time for a Cobra R hood. :(

Yeah, I didn't have any cool off-road places to flex the truck out for the shots, so you get the post office parking lot.

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

Couple shots turned out pretty decent with the 'Stang.

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

To top off the day, I realized as I was looking at these pictures, that my rear tire was about flat. It so happens that my 335/35/17 Goodyear decided to help clean the road of 3 drywall screws sometime along the way to where I shot the pictures. One being right in the corner of the tire, poking through the sidewall. Looks like the long control arms for the Jeep will have to wait.

For gits and shiggles, here's a shot of my old Bronco. It was a beast.

IMG_1280.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

That Bronco is no ****ing joke, hahaha.

Nice Cherokee by the way... I have a '97 that I try to accumulate miles on rather than the 'Stang. Coming up on the 200k mark soon and the rear main seal is still totally dry, and it uses less oil between changes than the GT! Seems like there are a LOT of Mustang/Cherokee owners between Stangnet and Jeepforum.

What's your lift/tire setup? 3-3 1/2" and 32, 33's? I'm on a a budget boost and 30's. Want to get a set of 3" Rusty's Offroad springs, cut my spacers in half, and do a bastard pack in the rear and go 32x11.50's eventually.

Where I'm at, there is no winter beater, but oh well. It would be a lot bigger if I didn't buy the Mustang, but when I got it, the Jeep modding took a break.

R2021.jpg

That Bronco is no ****ing joke, hahaha.

Nice Cherokee by the way... I have a '97 that I try to accumulate miles on rather than the 'Stang. Coming up on the 200k mark soon and the rear main seal is still totally dry, and it uses less oil between changes than the GT! Seems like there are a LOT of Mustang/Cherokee owners between Stangnet and Jeepforum.

Where I'm at, there is no winter beater, but oh well. It would be a lot bigger if I didn't buy the Mustang, but when I got it, the Jeep modding took a break.

Heh, I'm doing that backwards right now. I've been throwing money at the XJ left and right lately, and the poor 'stang has been sitting under the covered spot getting dusty. My Cherokee has 198k on it, and the rear main is also spotless. Only leaks I've had to deal with was the valve cover, and the rear diff fill plug.

My lift consists of 1978 F150 front coils, Rough Country 4.5" full leafs out back, and RC shocks. I've got some quick disconnects also coming in the mail. Once I get some long arms for the front, I'll get 6.5" front coils, and will throw these 3" shackles I have on the back. I had to wait on getting all of that because I just got a killer deal on an ARB bumper for the front. The tires are 31x10.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws on American Racing Outlaw IIs (Ranger wheels). Picked those up for $450 on Craigslist! Brand new rubber, and the rims only have a little corrosion. It was a good score.

And yeah, that Bronco was nuts. 400M with a 4 speed and granny gear, lifted 14" total. It was a handful to say the least.

Nice man! Yeah the oil filter housing leaks, and the valve cover seeps on mine. Rear diff needs a new plug and it'd be dry otherwise. That setup looks good but it sounds like it's about to be even better. I wish I had some time to put into mine to get it how I originally wanted it. Sounds like you're doing good on finding deals as well.

How do those F150 coils ride up front? They probably wouldn't be hard to score from the boneyard.

Bronco sounds like a handful, but also looks like a good candidate to ride out the apocalypse in, haha. I bet the gas mileage was nice.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a moron I missed reading the lift/tire setup the first go around. Sorry.

Nice man! Yeah the oil filter housing leaks, and the valve cover seeps on mine. Rear diff needs a new plug and it'd be dry otherwise. That setup looks good but it sounds like it's about to be even better. I wish I had some time to put into mine to get it how I originally wanted it. Sounds like you're doing good on finding deals as well.

How do those F150 coils ride up front? They probably wouldn't be hard to score from the boneyard.

Bronco sounds like a handful, but also looks like a good candidate to ride out the apocalypse in, haha. I bet the gas mileage was nice.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a moron I missed reading the lift/tire setup the first go around. Sorry.

It's all good, I must have edited the post 10 times, so you might have caught an 'original draft'. I work in a parts warehouse, so the front coils were $60 for me. They are a bit stiff, but they won't sag at ALL with the big heavy bumper I'm putting on the front. It's kind of funny, but I THOUGHT my oil filter adapter was leaking. I cleaned it up real good with Brakleen, and haven't seen any seepage since. It's only been about a day, though. It really is a Jeep thing, I guess. And, as for the Bronco's fuel mileage....

IMG_1214.jpg

That was from before I painted the tailgate semigloss black.

My spring, summer, fall and winter daily driver:
P1070364.jpg

I've driven mustangs all winter for the past 10 years. With descent tires, a bit of sand, and some common sense it is no problem at all. And yes, we do get plenty of ice and snow here in Kansas.

Lately, I've been spoiled lately though... my wife has a buick regal and it does much better in the ice and snow. Since last year, I don't drive my mustangs in the snow and ice anymore, but they are still the primary transportation when the streets aren't covered in the white stuff.

Here's my winter vehicle. I didnt drive it last year since the interior was taken out and the brakes on the car were dangerous to say the least, but its ready this year. Just got my General Altimax Arctics mounted on some oem aluminum wheels a few days ago. Over summer I replaced the entire brake system. Bent all new hard lines, SS brake hoses, reman calipers, new pads & rotors, new fluids.

Also the alarm/remote start I installed a while back is pretty bad ass!

YouTube - Avital 5303 alarm w/ DEI 530t window modules..saturn sl2

2ujmlqf.jpg

21lu104.jpg

34e98ud.jpg

Here's my winter vehicle. I didnt drive it last year since the interior was taken out and the brakes on the car were dangerous to say the least, but its ready this year. Just got my General Altimax Artics mounted on some oem aluminum wheels a few days ago. Over summer I replaced the entire brake system. Bent all new hard lines, SS brake hoses, reman calipers, new pads & rotors, new fluids.

Also the alarm/remote start I installed a while back is pretty bad ass!

YouTube - Avital 5303 alarm w/ DEI 530t window modules..saturn sl2

Ha, the Cherokee goes in for a remote start/alarm on Wednesday at Car Tunes. Mine won't be as crazy as yours though... It just starts the truck, unlocks the doors, and has a decent alarm for $149. The biggest reason I am getting it is because this stock Chrysler keyfob works from all of 1 foot away from the truck.

Ha, the Cherokee goes in for a remote start/alarm on Wednesday at Car Tunes. Mine won't be as crazy as yours though... It just starts the truck, unlocks the doors, and has a decent alarm for $149. The biggest reason I am getting it is because this stock Chrysler keyfob works from all of 1 foot away from the truck.

haha..yea I replaced my other alarm and remote start (seperate units) because the range sucked on the alarm. I only paid $130 shipped for this alarm off ebay. $70 for the window modules. I can remote start the car from inside Meijer. I need to get one for the stang.

Sweet Cherokee! Awesome Mustang shots, sometimes I wish I would have went with blue. :nice:

My beater is an '05 Impreza. I wanted a WRX but couldn't find one fast enough before I had to put the Mustang away. I needed something AWD for the snow, and this fit the bill. AWD donuts are so much fun. I brought it to the strip too .... 15.63@85 LOL.

Only pic I have:

DSC00081.jpg

Matt

:eek:

Hope new rear tires are on the shopping list over the winter. Good looking vehicles :rock:
I've been looking for some 335s this past month. There aren't too many companies that make them, but I'll definitely have some new ones by next summer. Those ones on the car have seen their day and then some.

Nightfire said:
Where did you get your wheels?

I picked these up a few years ago from Wheel Replicas, when they were still selling them. I think they were a limited run, I'm not sure though. American Muscle had them for a little while, but I haven't seen anyone selling them since then.

Image094.jpg

DSC_5730.jpg

1995 Chrysler New Yorker w/ 80K miles :banana: I love my DD. I drive 20 miles to work every day and she rides like a dream. It was my grandma's car and was kept in a heated garage its entire life... looks and drives like a brand new car :nice:

That's a nice daily Timeless :nice:

Notchbck I used to DD my '98 GT| when I lived in ND. The stang was awesome in the snow, and sure enough everyone who heard I drive a Mustang would always say "how can you drive that in the snow"

Its amazing to me that people think its impossible to drive in the snow with a RWD vehicle. You know, it wasn't until the 1990's when FWD vehicles became the norm. I wonder what people did before then :rlaugh: stayed home??? Not to mention the fact that tires today are worlds better than tires of the 70's and 80's.

only pic i have of my DD is the one from the "car with ______ pics" thread in the squeaky wheel, that's why there is a fire truck in it.

its a 2001 Taurus SES with about 92k miles on it. bought it 2 months ago from my girls parents for $1,500. it has the Vulcan engine and it is about as quick as a dog turd, but it gets the job done for the winter/while the cobra is down.

vscsud.jpg

My 'Stang wasn't so bad in the snow when I had stock tires and suspension, but now that I have steamrollers out back paired up with a locker, it's a nightmare. If I let off of the gas at all, it just kicks the back end out almost every time.