Ford Power Pack

radtexas

Jul 25, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I have on order an 07 GT/CS. Only differerence in performance is the addition of the factory installed Power Pack from Ford Racing. It claims to add 20hp to rear wheels.

Does anyone here have only this option added and could you tell a difference from before you added it?

The GT has 300hp. How much at rear wheels? And how much raw engine hp would be added with the power pack?

What is rear wheel hp on a stock GT? (5 speed)

• Sponsors (?)

I did a search on Ford Power Pack (FPP) in the forums and found several threads about this. No one ever posted actual dyno or if they felt any true difference with this mod.

However several concerns about the canned tunner and the warranty problem. Since the GT/CS comes with the FPP it should have no problem with warranty. At least that problem should be solved.

radtexas said:
I have on order an 07 GT/CS. Only differerence in performance is the addition of the factory installed Power Pack from Ford Racing. It claims to add 20hp to rear wheels.

Does anyone here have only this option added and could you tell a difference from before you added it?

The GT has 300hp. How much at rear wheels? And how much raw engine hp would be added with the power pack?

What is rear wheel hp on a stock GT? (5 speed)
Actually, I don't know if your aware of this or not..But the Ford Power Pack 1 which consists of the Cold Air Kit and, Pro Calibration Tool..Are actually designed, for Ford by Steeda Autosports..Steeda and Ford, share what is called, technology transfer program.. Which consists of sharing engineering specifications, calibration, and performance parts..Basically, in a nutshell..The Ford power pack cold air kit, in reality is actually, Steeda's with Ford's name on it..Check out Steeda's website, when you get a chance and you'll see for yourself, that their parts look exactly, the same..In fact, my cold air kit, will be arriving hopefully, in the next 12 hours, from Steeda..However, if you want some friendly advice..Get your cold air kit, and tuner from Steeda directly, because the pro cal tool, that's included in the Ford power pack ?? is really not, a real flash tuner..All, that Ford's Pro Cal Tool, will provide..Is only calibrate your factory MAF sensor, to the new intake housing and re-map the fuel curve, which just requires you to use premium fuel..Other than that, you really won't notice any real perfomance or HP, gains..In fact, you can't even make any adjustments, with their Pro Calibration Tool, at all..So believe me, You'll see much more of a difference and be much happier, if you order the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner, along with your cold air kit, direct from Steeda as a combo..Anyway, here's the website for Steeda..www.steeda.com Plus, you can also call Steeda.. They also have a toll free number on their website, for tech support.. Ask to speak to Jason..he'll make sure that, all your needs are taken care of, and he'll also take the time, to make certain, that all your questions are answered, as well.. Anyway, I'll let you know, when I have the kit installed and how everything works out..In the meantime, let me know what you think and what you decide.. :nice:

Well since all of that is already installed on the CS package I would don't feel right to change anything. If the FR1 does not make any real differences then how can they claim to add 20 rear wheel HP? Isn't that something called false advertising? I did check out the Steeda website and they are the same.

What about just leaving the FR1 alone and getting the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner if I am not satisfied with the results? They should work together?

No experience with the after market warranty issue, but from the reading in previous threads any bolt on can void the warranty IF: 1. The dealer wants to be a BUTT. 2. If the dealer can prove the bolt on caused the problem.
Since I am going with the CS myself which has the add-on from factory I should not have any warranty issues. However from above post only issue might be not getting full performance that I can. I sent an email to Steeda to see if they will give me an answer since they make the FR Pack 1. I will post if they reply to my email.

What I sent in the email:

I am getting a new 07 Mustang GT/CS. This comes with the Ford Power Pack which I believe you guys make. I have been reading in some forums and want you to confirm if the quote below is true.

..Get your cold air kit, and tuner from Steeda directly, because the pro cal tool, that's included in the Ford power pack ?? is really not, a real flash tuner..All, that Ford's Pro Cal Tool, will provide..Is only calibrate your factory MAF sensor, to the new intake housing and re-map the fuel curve, which just requires you to use premium fuel..Other than that, you really won't notice any real performance or HP, gains..In fact, you can't even make any adjustments, with their Pro Calibration Tool, at all..So believe me, You'll see much more of a difference and be much happier, if you order the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner, along with your cold air kit, direct from Steeda as a combo

Since you guys make this is it true? Will I not notice any change? I ordered the CS because of its appearance and the extra HP that it has. And now from reading this I am unsure. Can you spare a few minutes to let me know the truth.

Steeda's Reply:

Most of what is said there is true.

The Ford Racing tuner does not allow you to make any additional changes outside of the tune they provide. Similar to SCT's old XCAL 1 tuner. There is a tune in there but it is a very conservative tune. With our tuning it will be more aggressive and result in better performance. In addition you can make changes to the tunes provided to make them even more aggressive or to compensate for other changes such as changing rear end gears or tire size.

Also, The Ford Racing cold air is supplied with a smaller surface area filter than what we use on our kits so there is a little more airflow capacity with our kit.

The only issue I have now is I am not sure if we can calibrate your 07 vehicle just yet. We would need the processor code off the vehicle to check that with our file list and see if its supported yet. The 07's are different from 05 and 06.

Gus Irizarry
Sales Representative
954-960-0774 XT. 113
954-960-1449 Fax

Ford claim of its power pack adding 20hp is more then likely true. The CAI only should add 10-15hp then ford pro cal tool should give another 5-10hp and the mufflers may offer 5hp.

radtexas said:
Well since all of that is already installed on the CS package I would don't feel right to change anything. If the FR1 does not make any real differences then how can they claim to add 20 rear wheel HP? Isn't that something called false advertising? I did check out the Steeda website and they are the same.

What about just leaving the FR1 alone and getting the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner if I am not satisfied with the results? They should work together?
First of all, to set the record straight..I never said, that the FR1 does not make any real differences..I clearly stated, that the Pro Calibration tool, that is included with the FR1, will not provide any real differences..And I believe, that Steeda did confirm this, in their reply to your E-mail that you submitted, concerning the Pro Cal's conservative tune..And yes, I did advise you, to get the FR1 and the SCT X-Cal II flash tuner, direct from Steeda for that reason alone..As a matter of fact, that was exactly what I did..And although, I haven't taken my car to a local dyno, to be tested yet..I'm very happy, with the added performance, and there's also a very noticeable difference, compared to stock..As for Ford's 20 HP. claim ?? Look, I'm not here to bash Ford, nor did I ever accuse them of false advertising..However, if you check out the August 06 edition of MM&FF..you'll find an article called, Factory Firepower that begins on page 154..In which HP Performance, dyno tested a stock 05 Mustang GT.. First, they did a baseline tune (stock) and then, with the FR1 w/pro cal tool..And according to their results, the baseline was 267 rwhp. and 284 lb-ft. torque. On the other hand, the results for the FR1 w/ pro cal tool, ended up with 263 rwhp. and 280 lb-ft. torque..Therefore, if you do all the math correctly..There appears to be a 4 HP. and 4 lb-ft. torque drop, with the FR1 w/pro cal tool..And here's why?, it's because of Ford's very conservative tune, with an A/F range of 12.2-12.8:1 at (WOT) which is very much, on the rich side.. Anyway, if you get a chance..Pick up a copy of MM&FF and check it out for yourself..I'll also include the link for HP Performance, if you want to confirm their dyno claim results... www.hp-performance.com :shrug:

sonic_blue said:
Do you guys know if since the Steeda kit is made for Ford, if it will not void the warranty?
The answer to that question, is both Yes and No..It's yes, if you install the kit yourself, and if Ford can legally prove within a reasonable doubt, that the kit was directly responsible for causing your engine failure..However, If you order the kit through your Ford Dealer, and have them install it for you, then the answer is No... Just make sure, your dealer agrees to put that, in writting...:nice: And btw..this info.was confirmed to me, by 2 of Ford's, field service engineers and also by my dealer's, service dept. manager...I made certain of this, because in addition to my factory warranty, I also have an ESP warranty, that I purchased..And didn't want to risk, taking any chances, of losing it..Therefore, I did all the research first, before buying any of the parts, just for that reason alone...And yes..The Steeda kit, is made for Ford

red05bullitgt said:
First of all, to set the record straight..I never said, that the FR1 does not make any real differences..I clearly stated, that the Pro Calibration tool, that is included with the FR1, will not provide any real differences..:

Sorry man. I just wanted to confirm from the horses mouth so to speak. You can read about anything on the net so wanted to just make sure what I was getting. I did reply to the guy about getting one (tuner) and his reply was that the 07's were different than the 05-06's. Not sure what he meant there unless they are using a different set-up. But anyway he quoted a new tuner @ $399. Will have to wait until I get my ride here and see if I can find another GT to test against that has no FR1 in it. If I can not beat him (and fromyour dyno results it should be even) then I might be making a call to Stedda.

radtexas said:
Sorry man. I just wanted to confirm from the horses mouth so to speak. You can read about anything on the net so wanted to just make sure what I was getting. I did reply to the guy about getting one (tuner) and his reply was that the 07's were different than the 05-06's. Not sure what he meant there unless they are using a different set-up. But anyway he quoted a new tuner @ $399. Will have to wait until I get my ride here and see if I can find another GT to test against that has no FR1 in it. If I can not beat him (and fromyour dyno results it should be even) then I might be making a call to Stedda.
Dude, if you had any doubts ? you could have just asked lol..However, I can understand where your coming from..Anyway, the reason why the 07's are different than the 05-06's.. Is because, Ford changed the programming, by recalibrating the factory processor (computer) and until SCT and Diablo are able to crack, the new processor codes, their tuners will not work on the 07's..However, I wouldn't worry about it..It shouldn't take too long, before Diablo and SCT figure out, how to crack the new codes..So, in the meantime...Just hang in there, and before you know it..Everything will work out, just fine..Anyway, hope this answers your concerns..:)

red05bullitgt said:
Here's the FRPP part #M-5230-5GT I tried to copy and paste a pic, but I'm not sure how to attach, as a thumbnail..
M-5230-5GT.jpg

Attachments

• M-5230-5GT.jpg
    M-5230-5GT.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 108
red05bullitgt said:
Yep, that be the ones alright..So Bigcat, how do you copy and paste, a thumbnail on here..?? I've have no clue..:lol:
for that pic, i right clicked the image. you can save it and host it yourself, or you can sometimes host the image from a website. i clicked properties , then copied the URL. paste the URL and the use
around the URL.

here is an example, but with added spaces so that it does not actually work, but gives you an idea of how to do it.

[ I M G ] http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M-5230-5GT.jpg [ / I M G ]