Ford Toploader Shifting Fork

xsi3rr4x

Mar 25, 2011
Hello everyone, I have A Ford Toploader 4 speed out of a 1971 Mustang that my dad had given me. I plan on using it in my 1969 mustang,

the only problem is that he says the shifting fork is bent from when he was driving down his driveway one day and a huge rock came up and knocked the side of the transmission causing him not being able to go into first all the way (basically couldnt get into first) but he can get every other gear, he was told this could be due to a bent shifting fork.

How would I go about getting the 1st/2nd shifting fork out and checking if it is bent? me and my dad arnt really transmission people so we dont really know how to go about tearing down a transmission, but I imagine the shifting fork wouldnt be that bad to get to.

He said the rock also could have just hit his shifter or the linkages and messed them up.

Any advice would help very much, Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a transmission expert, either - but before you tear everthing down, I would check the linkage adjustment. It's pretty easy to do, and controls everything between the shifter and transmission. Linkage can come out of adjustment, with normal, let alone spirited driving. It's not uncommon either to find the linkage bent - which seems to me something a 'big rock' might actually do. Check that first, and see if you can grab your gear. You can find out the adjustment procedure pretty easy with a search...

It is possible that there is internal damage, but you would have to remove the top cover in order to have a hope of seeing it. That is easy to do. There is no easy way to remove a shift fork (or most any other internal part that could be bent or broken) without some major transmission disassembly. Decent mechanical skills are required.

As suggested by the above posters, check the external linkage rods and levers for binding. If nothing else get the car up in the air and snap a few photos of the linkage. Post them here so we can further diagnose the problem.

unfortunatly we dont have the linkages to it anymore, the trans had been sitting on a shelf without linkages and such since the 80s, he had sold the linkages along with his 1971 mustang that he had.
Im starting to think it might be the linkages, because like I said earlier he can get every gear but first, so if the fork for 1st and 2nd were bent we wouldnt be able to get 2nd either right?

I don't see how the fork could be bent and still work. Pull the top cover and shift it with a wrench, see if it slides all the way into gear.

I 100% agree that a bent shift fork is highly unlikely, although other internal damage might have been done.

OP--Be sure to rotate the input shaft (with your hand is OK) in the process of trying to put it into any gear.

As mentioned, best to do this when the cover is off so that you can see if the gear gets fully engaged. Shift the 3/4 gears first to get a feel of the gear engagements. It also will give you a good visual reference of what you are looking for (or look at the pics at the end of my post.) Also, don't confuse the reverse lever location with the others as it will not travel as far.

Here the wench is set up to shift the 3/4 gears:

Toploaderbiginputswap101.jpg

Reverse is the stud location in the middle and 1/2 is the rear (RH stud in photo.)

In the following picture first gear is on the right. The transmission location for 1/2 is neutral:

1IMG_1002_tn.jpg

In this photo 1st gear is full engaged (what you are looking for):

1IMG_1000_tn.jpg

You must have the 3/4 gears in the neutral (center) position in order to move the 1/2 lever. Vice verse if you want to move the 3/4 lever. Reverse requires that both the 3/4 and the 1/2 levers be in the neutral position.

OP-Answer to your other question: When removing the cover, you will probably see a big spring on the driver's side of the case. Seen on the upper right of this photo:

1IMG_1011_tn.jpg

I say probably because of the quoted year of the toploader. Earlier toploaders (64-67) used a plug with a small spring under it instead.

The spring is not under extreme pressure and it will not shoot out of the case when the 10 bolts of the cover are removed. It is about 1 1/2" long or so long and it will stay in place as long as you do not turn the tranny upside down. It can be removed if you want by pulling up on it--there is nothing to hurt. Under the spring is a ball that is not under tension. Again, it will remain in the case as long as you don't turn the tranny upside down.