Forged Internals

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a decent combo. I don't see any reason on getting a new crank unless you want to go with a stroker setup. The stock forged crank is a pretty stout piece, it may need to be turned though.
When I had my shortblock built this year I used my stock crank, had it turned 10 under, then had it stuffed with Manley H-beam rods and CP 9cc dish pistons.

Ahhh, this is where I need to be. :) I'm currently stuffing a '99-'01 Cobra motor into my 1996 Ford Mustang. The V-6 gave up in a big way and I decided now was the time to build me a beast. I have decided to put a supercharger on it, sometime in the future... When I do, is there a stroker crank that I can get for a cobra motor? I've seen modular kits from CHP and other sources, but I wasn't sure if they would work in a DOHC motor.

Thanks for your help.

There are stroker kits out there...dont' know anything about them though.
Big bore's seem to be more popular.

My rebiuld is underway.....keeping the stock forged crank and adding forged eagle rods and diamond pistons to the bottom end. SHM oil gears too.

Well, Coast High Performance has a Mod motor stroker for the 4.6L modular ford engine. I understand that the blocks are the same, but I just didn't know if the DOHC and SOHC had different cranks. I do know that CHP's stroker kit bores out some and then changes the stroke as well. You end up with 5.1L or 310 cubes after it is all said and done.

say the hell away from the CHP 5.1 stroker. they use a 3.625 bore. no good.

the GT crank has 6 or 8 bolt flywheel holes(depending on windsor/romeo) and is nodular iron. The Cobra crank is a forged steel 8 bolt crank. the cobra crank is by far the best piece on the entire car, bar none.

I have eagle rods and CP pistons. Scat is a very well respected ohv brand and i don't know much about their 4.6 rods but id say they are the same forging as the eagle/manley rods.

if you get them, make sure they have arp 2000 rod bolts.

Ross pistons are not my favorite, but others seem to like them. If you are planning for boost, remember to run a bit looser endgap on the rings.

get some fed mogul race main and rod bearings, arp main and head stud, and the billet oil gears.

oh yeah, when you have your block machined make sure they use torque plates and have the main caps studded down. The aluminum blocks like to flex. Oh and also see if they can line hone it to make sure the caps are all of equal size since that is very important with the Fed mogul bearings.

good luck
forged motors are fun

manley is the way to go with ur cobra they are great for mod motors also their slugs are good i personally use diamond pistons a little expensive but i like em anyway jus my .02cents. :spot:

mahle pistons are 4032 alloy not 2618. if you are gonna forge the bottom end, at least do it right and use some quality 2618 pistons like Ross, JE, Diamond or CP.

2618 is a much stronger metal and is better for detonation resistance.

mahle is more of an oem replacement piston.

Thanks for telling me about the mahle pistons definantly wont be buying them. I havent really had a chance to research the stuff like I should.
Who has good prices? Paxton superchargers are junk ah, What do you think of procharger?

i have no real love for procharger either. the p1sc is not my favorite blower and they had some problems with leaky seals. The larger street blowers like the d1sc are good, but pricey. The race blowers are top notch.

i got a dud paxton blower and i have had quite a bit of problems. it seems ok now.

Vortech is the standard for reliability for blowers. the s trim or T trim are good matches for the cobra motor.

if i had the cash, id slap a turbo on there without a doubt.