Found my stupid "overheating" problem

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
I picked up a coolant pressure tester kit and checked out my coolant system. It wasn't holding pressure at all, and coolant started leaking from where the upper hose hooks up to the thermostat housing. Tightened the clamp that and tried again. Next it leaks from where a hose attaches to the heater core - a loose clamp again. THEN it leaks from the clamp on the lower radiator hose. :mad:

You remember that old cartoon where someone plugs a hole in a leaky wall with a finger, and another leak pops up? They plug that hole with the other hand, and ANOTHER leak pops up? That's exactly what I went through this afternoon. :nonono:

Basically, NONE of my hose clamps were tight enough. There's still a tiny leak somewhere, 'cause the pressure still drops very slowly. But I drove the Stang this afternoon through plenty of traffic and rode it hard on the freeway and the temp never rose over halfway on the gauge. *sigh* At least it was easy to fix.

• Sponsors (?)

:nice:

Funds allowing, everyone should have one of those in their toolbox.

BTW, that kit is really nice - way way nicer than mine.

don't want to scare you or anything, but if you fixed all the other leaks, you may want to check the oil to make sure that last leak isn't into the engine.

don't want to scare you or anything, but if you fixed all the other leaks, you may want to check the oil to make sure that last leak isn't into the engine.

Fair enough, thanks for the warning. Just checked the dipstick and it's clean, no milkshake. It might still be leaking between the upper hose and thermostat housing - I have a steel one that has an extra hole tapped for an extra temp sender. It would be my luck that the neck isn't round enough and it's leaking there. Anyone know how to fix a leak like that? :shrug: I suppose I could use some silicone sealer or RTV, but that might make the hose a PITA to remove later.

before I bought my pressure kit I used to take the regulator on my air compressor and turn it down to 25 or so psi and use a blow nozzle with a rubber tip and blow air into the cooling system thru the overflow hose