Fox Body Shocks/Struts and Lowering Springs thoughts?

I have a 1987 LX 5.0 Hatch that has the original suspension components with Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors added. I'd like to replace the factory shocks/struts and consider swapping out factory springs for lowering springs but really I'm not interested in the slammed look, so lowering an inch would be fine. My overall goal would be to improve on the factory set up with decent quality parts. Considering the KYB GR2 shocks/struts. Any recommendations? I included pic taken recently to show current ride height.

Attachments

• Mustang at park.jpg
    Mustang at park.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 187
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

20210806_183658.jpg IMG_0599.JPG

Stock rear spring with lower control arm mount lowered about 2". Front is an old school Granatelli coil over kit. I have actually moved to the lower hole in the second pic.

Here's mine setting on Steeda Sport springs. I have the Koni SRT.T shocks and struts, but I've heard the KYB GR2s are decent for the money. I also have MM adjustable lower control arms so I can raise or lower the rear of the car from where it sets in this picture.

20170716_125950.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
If you want the best of both worlds, rather than going with lowering springs and new shocks/struts, I would recommend going with a set of coil-overs. I did an install on a 1990 LX, and it was simple. Plus, you can raise/lower the height in order to fine tune the exact stance you are looking for. Here is a photo of before, the coil-overs, and an after.

Attachments

• HLX0.jpg
    HLX0.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 140
  • HLX1.jpg
    HLX1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 131
  • HLX2.jpg
    HLX2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 124
  • HLX3.jpg
    HLX3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 152
If you want the best of both worlds, rather than going with lowering springs and new shocks/struts, I would recommend going with a set of coil-overs. I did an install on a 1990 LX, and it was simple. Plus, you can raise/lower the height in order to fine tune the exact stance you are looking for. Here is a photo of before, the coil-overs, and an after.
From your experience, would you have a preferred brand name for coil overs that is good quality and priced reasonably?

Second to last picture is the factory springs, a before and after. I guess I should of said that haha, I just edited the caption. Yes these cars are definitely very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From your experience, would you have a preferred brand name for coil overs that is good quality and priced reasonably?
We went with a complete kit from American Muscle. If memory serves me correct, it was not a large name brand. I believe the kit was roughly about $800, compared with the big-name brands going for $1500+. They have been on the car now for over 5 years and not a single problem.

I also have those same size tires, every once and in a while over a big bump on a highway something rubs slightly, but I haven't tried to figure out what it is yet, no obvious marks so far...haha

Pretty happy with the Koni orange shocks and struts. I have them on both my 2014 GT and 1988 GT. I am still on stock springs in the 88 but might do a slight drop at some point.

Here's mine setting on Steeda Sport springs. I have the Koni SRT.T shocks and struts, but I've heard the KYB GR2s are decent for the money. I also have MM adjustable lower control arms so I can raise or lower the rear of the car from where it sets in this picture.

20170716_125950.jpg
How do you like those Koni SRT.T struts and shocks? Ordered a set for my 88 LX 5.0 to replace worn out 160K stock units.